Crafting With Kids: Zoo Animal Frame
- Wooden frame
- Sculpey Pluffy oven-bake clay*: Yellow; White; Green; Lime Green; Brown; Red; Black; Purple; Pink; Hot Pink
- Acrylic paints: blue; green
- Firefly Modeling Tool Set*
- Clay Roller*
- Oven and parchment-lined baking sheet
- Oven Thermometer*
- *Products by Polyform Products
- 1. Paint bottom of frame green and top blue.
- 2. For sun, make a Yellow ball and flatten.
- 3. For clouds, make two different sized White balls and flatten and shape as shown. Press clouds together.
- 4. Make one large Brown ball, roll into a log and shape bottom into roots. For tree top, make several Green and Lime Green balls; flatten and shape into ovals. For crown of tree, slightly overlap Green and Lime Green ovals. Attach to tree trunk.
- 5. For grass, make short strings from Lime clay and press together.
- 6. For hippopotamus, make one larger Purple ball for body, one medium one for head, two small ones for feet and two tiny ones for ears. Slightly flatten body, head and legs. Shape leg balls into squares and ear balls into drops. Make two tiny black balls for eyes and eight tiny White balls, two for teeth and six for toes. Press head onto upper part of body. Attach feet to bottom of body and ears to top of head. Press two small holes into face for nose. Attach eyes, teeth and toes.
- 7. Make a small Red ball and shape into a snake. Make two tiny Black balls for eyes and several tiny Lime green balls for spots on snake's body. Decorate snake's body with Lime Green spots and attach eyes.
- 8. Create a large Hot Pink ball and flatten it for body. Use clay tool to create division for legs. Make a small Hot Pink ball, flatten and gently press into place for head. Add tiny White teardrops for tusks and tiny Black balls for eyes. Make two Pink moon shapes and create ears. Then add small Pink club shape for tail. Use clay tool to add toes and define end of tail.
- 9. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake clay items. Glue items to frame as shown.
- 1. Do not use unbaked clay on unprotected furniture or surfaces.
- 2. Knead clay for two minutes.
- 3. Bake on oven-proof glass or metal surface at 275°F (130°C) for 15 minutes per 6mm (1/4") of thickness.
- 4. Do not use in microwave oven.
- 5. Do not exceed above temperatures or recommended baking time.
- 6. Baking should be completed by an adult.
- 7. Wash hands after use.
by Iris Weiss