Vintage Love Bird Ornament
- Patera items*: Antique Silver Large Heart Pendant; Winter Holiday Transfer Sheet; Large Heart Punch; Gel du Soleil UV Resin; UV Lamp; Antique Silver Headpin; Antique Silver Etched Daisy Beadcap, 8mm; Antique Silver Open Beadcap, 6mm; Antique Silver Large Textured Cable Chain link; Swirl Ornament Hook
- Red glass bead, 8mm
- Silver large round spacer bead
- Silver small spacer bead
- Silver bicone spacer bead
- Small bowl of water
- *Products by Nunn Design
- Jewelry pliers
- Small paintbrush
- Straight pin
- 1. Cut out heart bird image from transfer sheet, using heart-shaped punch. Drop image into bowl of water; let soak for about a minute. Remove from water. Slide top, filmy portion of image away from its paper backing. Apply filmy portion (face up) to inside of large heart pendant. Gently dab top of image with paper towel to remove excess water. Let dry.
- 2. Slowly pour Gel du Soleil resin over bird image in pendant. Cover image completely with a thin layer. Let sit for several seconds; use straight pin to pop any bubbles that appear. Place pendant under UV lamp and cure for 20 minutes. Repeat process, building up thin layers of resin until you achieve a nicely domed finish. (Note: You will get better results with this method rather than pouring a thick heavy layer at the start.) Always cure resin under UV lamp between applications.
- 3. Use jewelry pliers to attach large silver link to loop of heart pendant. Cut head off the headpin and form a loop at cut end. Thread small spacer bead, etched daisy beadcap, large spacer bead, open beadcap, red glass bead and bicone spacer onto wire. Form a loop with jewelry pliers, snipping off any excess wire. Open one loop and attach to heart pendant. Attach remaining loop to swirl ornament hook.
by Mary Lynn Maloney for Nunn Design