- Wool felt scraps: pink; white
- Cotton print fabric scraps: teal/pink floral (heart); pink gingham (cheek); teal (beak)
- Fiberfill stuffing
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC): White; Pink (603); Teal (3766)
- Pink or teal dot ribbon (for hanger), 3/8”, 10” length
- Pink or white marabou boa trim, 2” length
- Pearl flower trim, 1-1/4” length
- Silver sequins, 5mm, three
- Teal or pink rhinestone (eye), 7mm
- HeatnBond Lite (Therm O Web)
- Fabric glue stick
- Fabric glue
- Sewing needle and matching thread
- Embroidery needle
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Print out pattern. Cut two bird shapes from pink or white felt.
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to iron fusible web paper side up onto wrong side of cotton fabrics. Trace and cut heart from floral print, beak from teal print and cheek from gingham fabric.
- 3. Fuse beak, cheek and heart onto one felt bird piece. (Note: Bird can face in either direction.)
- 4. Use white floss to blanket stitch around heart, and pink or teal floss to blanket stitch around cheek. Use pink or teal floss to add three running stitches along inside straight edge of beak. (Note: Outside edges will be stitched later.)
- 5. With edges aligned, place two birds wrong sides together.
- 6. Cut 10” length from pink or teal dot ribbon. Fold ribbon length in half to form a loop, then baste ends at top center of bird between felt layers. Quick Tip: Use fabric glue stick to baste ribbon hanger.
- 7. Blanket stitch around bird with either pink or teal floss, catching ribbon hanger at top. Be sure to leave a space open for stuffing with fiberfill.
- 8. Stuff bird then blanket stitch opening closed.
- 9. Cut a 2” length from pink or white boa trim. Glue boa trim to top of head. Glue pearl flower to bottom of ribbon hanger and three silver sequins to tail.
- 10. Glue pink or teal rhinestone for eye.
- 1. Use two strands of floss for all embroidery. To save time, machine stitch fabric appliqués using a zigzag or decorative stitch instead of hand embroidery.
by Susan Cousineau