Homespun Country Wreath
- STYROFOAM brand foam* (Dow): Block, 10”x12”x1”; Egg, 3-1/16”x2-15/16”
- Cotton print fabrics: beige (A), 1/4 yd.; green (B), 4”x12”; rose (C), 4”x12”; striped (D), 4”x8”
- Brown felt, 9”x12”
- Jute, 1/4 yd.
- Buttons, four
- Pearl cotton: brown, 1/2” yd.; ivory, 2 yds.
- Grapevine wreath, 12”
- Wooden skewer
- Embroidery needle
- Optional: Sewing machine and matching thread
- Craft knife
- Adhesives (Beacon Adhesives): Hold the Foam; Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- *STYROFOAM is a registered trademark of The Dow Chemical Co.
- 1. Print out pattern. Trace patterns on foam block. Use craft knife to cut out bird and wing. Cut egg into thirds. Quick Tip: Rub knife edge with candle for easier cutting. Rub cut edges with soft cloth to smooth surface.
- 2. Cut two 2” squares from each cotton fabric. Sew three squares together in three rows: ABC; BCA; CBA. Sew rows together. Round corners with scissors.
- 3. Cover one round egg section with patchwork fabric. Pull fabric evenly to back (flat) side of egg. Glue at points. Pull fabric in between evenly to back and glue.
- 4. Cut a 4” square from fabrics A and D; round corners. Glue to remaining to eggs sections, repeating Step 3. Tear 1”x3” strip from striped fabric; glue around rose egg.
- 5. Glue jute around patchwork egg and tie in front.
- 6. From fabric A, cut bird 1/2” larger than bird pattern. From fabric B, cut wing larger than wing pattern.
- 7. Glue fabrics to foam bird and wing pieces in same way as Step 3. Clip curves or corners by stretching fabric slightly.
- 8. Cut three flowers and a beak from felt.
- 9. Use brown pearl cotton to sew straight stitch “eye” on bird, starting and ending at back of bird. Fold beak in half and glue to face.
- 10. Sew felt flower and button to wing, two felt flowers and buttons to egg and button to fabric strip.
- 11. Insert skewer in bottom of bird and opposite end in wreath. Trim excess skewer. Glue eggs to wreath in front of bird.
by Debra Quartermain for Dow Chemical Co.