Ohio Star Quilted Tote
size: approx. 14" tall
- Dark green print fabric (block, straps, tote back, side panels), 1/2 yd.
- Muslin (block, lining/backing), 1/2 yd.
- Brown/brown checkerboard fabric (block), 1/8 yd.
- Burgundy print fabric (block), 1/8 yd.
- Brown print fabric (block), 1/8 yd.
- Medium green print fabric (block, binding), 1/8 yd.
- Red/black checkerboard fabric (block), 4” square.
- 100% Cotton Batting (The Warm Co.)
- KK2000 “Green” Temporary Spray Adhesive (Sulky)
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- All-Purpose Thread to match (Coats & Clark)
- Tea (for dyeing muslin block pieces)
- Sewing machine
- Walking foot or darning foot
- 1/4” Quilting foot
- Rotary cutting tool and mat
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- Cut the Pieces
- 1. Use Cutting Diagram to cut fabrics as directed.
- Make the Block
- 1. All seams are 1/4”. Follow illustrations as shown, in number order.
- Quilt the Tote Front
- 1. Cut a muslin and batting piece 1” larger on all sides than tote front. Layer in this order: muslin; batting (spray with temporary adhesive); tote front (facing up).
- 2. With a walking foot and invisible thread, quilt the tote front. Follow the seams, for a “stitch-in-the-ditch” effect. Trim edges straight.
- Quilt the Tote Side and Back
- 1. Cut a muslin and batting piece 1” larger on all sides that the side panel, layer the same as “tote front” instructions. Quilt with several straight stitches down edges.
- 2. Cut a dark green backing piece the same size as tote front.
- 3. Cut a muslin and batting piece 1” larger on all sides that the backing piece. Layer the same as “tote front” instructions. Quilt with straight stitches approximately 1-1/4” apart. Trim all edges straight.
- Sew the Tote Together
- 1. With right sides together, sew the side panel to the tote front. Clip at the corners for easy turning. Backstitch at the corners for strength.
- 2. With right sides together, sew side panel to tote back. Clip corners.
- 3. Zigzag the seams.
- Bind the Tote
- 1. Cut a bias piece of medium green 2-1/4” wide and the length around the tote (approximately 30” long). (Note: You may need to piece.)
- 2. With right side out, press the binding in half, lengthwise. Follow binding instructions to attach the binding. Cut the end pieces straight. Overlap the end pieces 2-1/4”. Sew the end pieces together, with right sides together, as shown. Cut the corner off and press open. Position the pieces onto the tote to finish the binding edge.
- Make the Straps
- 1. Cut a 1”x23” strip from batting.
- 2. Position batting in center of wrong side of green strap. Fold one side over toward the center of the batting. Press a 1/4” hem on other edge. Fold over the raw edge of the other side. Press.
- 3. Sew down the center of the strap to secure the folded edge. Sew along both sides of the center stitch as quilting. Repeat with remaining strap. Zigzag ends of straps. Secure threads with Fabri-Tac™.
- 4. Attach straps 1-1/2” from tote side panel seam, using photo as guide.
by Denise Clason