Birdie Pin Cushion
- Wool Felt (National Nonwovens), 9”x12”: Pistachio Ice Cream; Shocking Pink; White; Peach (scrap)
- Coordinating cotton print fabric
- Pearl Cotton (Anchor): Pink; Peach; Green
- Buttons: yellow heart, two; white flower, two; round: yellow, four; green, four; pink, two
- White measuring tape, 1/2 yd.
- Fiberfill stuffing, 4 oz.
- Polyester pellets, 2 oz.
- Embroidery needle
- Straight pins
- Measuring tape
- Circle template, 3”
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Iron and pressing board
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- 1. Print out pattern. Cut: bird front and back, and one flower from Shocking Pink felt; four heart wing pieces and one flower from White felt; 2-1/2”x10-1/2” rectangle from fabric; 2-1/2”x10-1/2” and two 3” circles from Pistachio Ice Cream felt; flower from Peach felt.
- 2. Align bird pieces and pin. Blanket stitch around bird, leaving small opening. Stuff bird and continue blanket stitching. Sew flower button eyes and heart buttons for beak as shown.
- 3. Align heart wings in pairs. Use pink pearl cotton to blanket stitch around each wing. Sew yellow and green buttons to center of each wing. Glue wings to sides of bird.
- 4. Cut measuring tape into three equal lengths. Fold lengths into loops. Slit tiny hole at end of tail and insert loops, gluing in place.
- 5. Using a 1/4” seam allowance, sew felt and fabric strips with right sides together. Fold in half lengthwise with right sides together and sew seam. Sew felt circles to opposite ends, leaving small opening on one end. Turn right side out. Stuff pin cushion and place pellets in bottom for weight. Use pink pearl cotton to blanket stitch completely around top and bottom of pin cushion.
- 6. Make a straight stitch in each flower leaf, using peach with green, pink with peach and white with green. Sew a yellow button to center of peach flower, pink button to center of white flower and green button to center of pink flower.
- 7. Glue bird to center top of pin cushion.
by Debra Quartermain