Hugs & Kisses Punch Needle
Create this sweet “XO”, or hugs and kisses, punch needle design to adorn a small gift box and fill with chocolates or other fun surprises!
- DMC Punch Needle Fabric: White
- DMC: 6-strand Embroidery Floss: Blanc, 600, 602, 605; Color Variations: 4180; Memory Thread: White (6050), Fuchsia (6120), Pink (6130)
- Mill Hill seed beads: Pink (02005)
- Top-hinged box, 4-1/2”x5-1/2”
- Coordinating-color fabric, 7”x12”
- Punch needle of choice, 3-strand, on low loop setting
- Punch needle threader
- DMC: embroidery scissors, size 10 embroidery needle
- Interlocking hoop frame, 7”
- Spray fabric adhesive
- Quick-drying clear glue
- 1. Size of design is 3-1/4"x4".
- Hugs & Kisses
- 1. Print out pattern. Transfer design onto center of punch needle fabric. Position fabric in hoop.
- 2. Following pattern, punch needle design, working from inside outwards, beginning on “X” and “O”.
- 3. Turn hoop over and from front side, bend White Memory Thread around outline of letters; couch thread in place using one strand white floss. Trim thread ends.
- 4. Punch needle inside of heart. Turn hoop over and bend Pink Memory Thread along outline; couch thread with one strand 605 floss. Continue to punch needle outer heart and outline with Fuchsia Memory Thread; couch thread in place with one strand 600 floss.
- 5. Punch needle background and border leaving space free for beads. Sew beads in open spaces on front side using one strand 605 floss. Trim thread ends.
- 6. Cover box with coordinating-color fabric; apply spray fabric adhesive. Trim excess fabric and smooth edges. Let dry.
- 7. Remove design from hoop; trim around design leaving 1/8” border on all sides. Use clear glue to adhere design onto center of box lid. Let dry.
- 8. Cut two 20” Fuchsia Memory Thread lengths and twist together, creating 15”-long cord. Bend cord around outer edge of design and use clear glue to adhere. Let dry.
by Alice Okon for DMC Corp