Valentine's Chocolate Box Pillow
size: approx. 12-1/2" across
- Pink wool or velvet fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Brown velvet, 12”x12”
- Pink or brown grosgrain ribbon, 1”, 1-1/2 yds.
- Baby piping cord, 1-1/2 yds.
- Sewing thread: brown; pink
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- Assorted embellishments of choice (sequins, ribbon flowers, etc.)
- Wonder Under paper-backed fusible web, 14”x14
- Temporary fabric spray adhesive
- Medium-weight tear-away stabilizer
- Quilter’s ruler
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine with standard and zipper foot
- Universal sewing machine needle
- Needles: sewing; embroidery
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Print out pattern.
- 2. Cut two hearts from pink fabric, 3-1/2”x40-1/2” rectangle for pillow side and two bias strips at least 2”x42”.
- 3. Trace seven each of the heart, circle and square shapes onto paper-backed fusible web (paper side up).
- 4. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse tracing onto wrong side of brown velvet square with a dry iron and cut out shapes. Remove paper backing from shapes, but do not fuse to pillow until layout is complete.
- 5. Working at the pressing board, lay out the velvet shapes onto right side of one heart. Work with layout until desired arrangement is achieved, leaving at least 3/4: between raw edge of heart and any shape.
- 6. Carefully fuse shapes onto pillow top following manufacturer’s instructions.
- 7. Spray 14”x14” tear away stabilizer square with temporary spray adhesive and smooth pillow top down.
- 8. With brown thread in upper and pink in bobbin, appliqué pieces onto fabric using a narrow zigzag stitch (L 0.5, W 2-3). Stitch around each piece slowly, pivoting carefully at inside and outside corners. Tear away the stabilizer, being careful not to distort stitching.
- 9. Embellish shapes with small beads, embroidery stitches like French knots, lazy daisy flowers or bullions, sequins, etc.
- 10. Wrap the bias around the baby piping cord. Pin or baste over the cord. Using the zipper foot and a straight stitch (L 2.5-3.0), stitch next to the cord. Trim the piping seam allowances to 1/4”.
- 11. With right sides together, and beginning at center top of heart, pin piping to pillow bottom, overlapping piping where piping crosses. Ease it to fit around the heart’s curves and lip at the bottom point. Stitch, using zipper foot. Repeat with pillow top.
- 12. Pin 1”-wide grosgrain ribbon along center of 3-1/2”x40-1/2” rectangle. Using standard foot, stitch ribbon down along both edges.
- 13. Sew pillow side together along short ends.
- 14. Pin pillow side to pillow top, placing seam at mid-point of one straight side. Stitch carefully around the heart, using the zipper foot to get as close to the piping as possible. Clip and press.
- 15. Repeat Step 14 to attach bottom of pillow, leaving a 5” gap along one side to allow for stuffing.
- 16. Stuff pillow firmly and slip stitch opening closed.
- 17. Tie remaining grosgrain ribbon in a bow and tack to side of pillow, if desired.
- 1. Use 1/4” seam allowance throughout unless otherwise indicated.
by Claire Meldrum