Stashbuster Sweet Treats
size: approx. 3"-4" tall
- Fabric scraps
- Felted sweater scraps
- Optional: Quilt batting
- Sewing needle and thread
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue (iLoveToCreate)
- 1. Cut 4”x9” rectangle from fabric scrap. Fold in half to make 2”x9” strip. (Note: For thicker strip, place a small amount of quilt batting inside fold.) Cut 4”x9-1/2” rectangle from felted sweater. Fold in same way as fabric strip.
- 2. Align strip end together on left side and begin rolling in a circular motion. From right side, back to left side. Keep a firm grasp on bottom and begin forming a cinnamon roll-like shape. (Note: Center of roll should be slightly higher like a cinnamon bun.)
- 3. Pin end of rolled fabric to thick part of roll on side it meets to secure. Baste stitch roll so ends stay intact. Remove pins as you stitch.
- 4. Trim bottom of cupcake to it sits flat. Cut edges of roll that do not align. If desired, cut a circular piece of craft wool to “finish” bottom so interior roll is not visible from bottom.
- 5. Glue ribbon to cupcake as shown.
- 6. For sprinkles, cut a 1”x5” strip from felted sweater. Cut strip 1/4”-wide fringe along strip without cutting through at bottom. Fringe should resemble blades of grass. Roll fringed strip to form a sprinkle “flower.” If roll is too long to fit, trim fringe at top or shorten width. Spot glue divet at top of roll. Place flower in center and pin to secure until glue dries. (Note: Use a decorative pin and leave in cupcake, if desired.)
by Marissa Bowers