Embroidered Tea Cozy & Clay Trivet
sizes: 4"x12"; trivet 7" diameter
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt: fat quarter Baby Blue; scraps: Strawberry Dream, Buttercup, White
- Sullivans Embroidery Floss: Green
- White medium rick rack
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
scissors, sewing machine, straight pins, transfer paper, paper towel, ruler or measuring tape
- Clear Stamps Technique Tuesday: Casablanca
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Calypso Blue, Baby Blue, Light Buttermilk, Asphaltum
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon brushes: Series 7730 Aura Brush 1/2”; Series 7550C Glaze/Wash 1”; Series 7300 Shader #4
- Embroidery needle and thimble
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- 1. Print out patterns. Cut tea cozy patterns from wool felt. Transfer embroidery pattern onto tea cozy.
- 2. Backstitch words and design onto tea cozy using Green floss.
- 3. Cut two 1-1/2”x8” Buttercup wool felt rectangles and one 1-1/2”x8” Strawberry Dream wool felt rectangle. Fold rectangles lengthwise and snip every 1/4” along folded edge to about center. Set aside.
- 4. Cut 1/4”-wide White wool felt strips. Roll up strips into 1”-diameter circles; secure using hot glue. Glue circles above embroidered stems.
- 5. Wrap folded lengthwise rectangles around White centers; use hot glue to secure. Trim away excess felt and hot glue end. Let cool.
- 6. With right sides together, pin center top of embroidered side of tea cozy to center of top piece. (Note: Find center by folding in half.) Continue to pin top strip of cozy to top edge of side. Stitch in place.
- 7. With right sides together, pin other side of cozy to other side of top strip. Find centers by folding in half. Stitch in place.
- 8. Turn cozy right side out. Stitch white rick-rack along edge on bottom of cozy.
- 9. For trivet, with clay-dedicated rolling pin, roll ultralight clay to 1/4” thickness. Form 7”-diameter circle. Cut 7” circle from clay.
- 10. Stamp center of trivet. Stamp around center. Continue stamping pattern until entire circle has been stamped. Use fingers to form scalloped edges. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake trivet on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 11. Paint both sides of trivet Light Buttermilk using 1” glaze/wash. Let dry. Drybrush stamped areas on trivet (2:1) mixture Calypso Blue + Baby Blue using aura brush. Let dry. Apply (3:1) mixture glazing medium + Asphaltum onto edges and stamped areas using shader. Let set for 10 minutes. Use paper towel to blot trivet. Let dry. Apply gloss varnish over all areas of trivet using glaze/wash. Let dry.
by April Moffatt