Bits & Pieces Refrigerator Magnets
- Coordinating fabrics: 3”x3”, five; 2”x2”
- Foam-core board, 2-1/2”x2-1/2”, five
- Felt (color of choice), 2-1/2”x2-1/2”
- Adhesive-backed magnets, five
- Dragonfly jewelry clasp (Fire Mountain Gems)
- Gold jump ring
- Ribbon: brown satin (flat and accordion); green satin; green stitched; cream ruffled
- Aqua silk flower (Prima Marketing)
- Buttons (Blumenthal-Lansing): shell; pearl
- Brown 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- Brown velvet leaf (Prima Marketing)
- Decorative Details Gold Brads (Nunn Designs): Floral; Square Architectural
- Teal flat buttons, three
- Beads: pearls, three; brown round
- Chipboard square, 1”
- Sewing needle and cream thread
- Straight pins
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- 1. Glue felt squares to top of foam-core squares. Center foam-core square felt-down on fabric square. Wrap opposite sides of fabric around foam-core and glue to reverse side. Finish folding fabric gift-wrap style, gluing to secure folds and trimming excess fabric to reduce bulk. Repeat with remaining fabrics and foam-core squares.
- 2. For light blue magnet, wrap square three times with brown embroidery floss. Use needle and thread to sew gathering stitch along bottom of cream ruffled ribbon. Pull gathers to create ribbon flower and knot ends to secure. Glue velvet leaf to corner of square, flower to leaf and pearl button to flower center.
- 3. For olive green magnet, wrap 1”x1” chipboard square with coordinating fabric and trim excess. Glue brown accordion ribbon to magnet square. Layer wrapped chipboard square over ribbon and glue in place. Wrap stitched green ribbon in knot around floral brad and glue to chipboard square.
- 4. For bright green magnet, thread one strand of embroidery floss through aqua bead and pearl and back through aqua bead. Repeat with remaining two aqua beads and pearls. Thread all ends through round brown bead. Adjust lengths of floss as desired, wrap free floss ends around bead and knot to secure. Glue square architectural brad on top left corner of magnet. Glue brown bead to center of medallion, hiding knot under bead.
- 5. For blue magnet, wrap green satin ribbon around magnet square and tie knot. Trim ribbon ends. Hang dragonfly clasp from jump ring through center of knot.
- 6. For taupe magnet, glue brown satin ribbon diagonally in sideways “v” from left side of magnet square to right. Glue silk flower to left side of magnet square. Knot floss through shell button and glue to flower center.
by Carla Schauer