Posh Yo-Yo Pillow Sleeve
- Coordinating fabrics (yo-yos), 1/2 yd. each, six to eight
- Fabric (sleeve), 1/2 yd.
- Ready-to-cover buttons: sizes 18, 24 and 30
- Pillow, 16”x16”
- Sewing needle and matching thread
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- Cardstock (to make patterns)
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Cut 17”x33” rectangle from fabric for sleeve.
- 2. For in half lengthwise with right sides together, using a 1/2” seam, sew the long edge together.
- 3. Press seam open and turn right side out.
- 4. With seam in center back, press sleeve flat.
- 5. With right sides together using a 1/2” seam, sew the short edges together.
- 6. Finish edge, if desired, then press flat.
- 1. With compass, trace circle patterns onto cardstock in the following sizes, 4”, 4-1/2”, 5”, 5-1/2”; feature flower is an 8” circle and 6-1/2” circle. Cut out patterns.
- 2. Trace circles onto fabrics; cut out. You will need approximately 75 yo-yos to cover entire sleeve.
- 3. Using a needle with matching thread, stitch a short running stitch entirely around a fabric circle.
- 4. Pull thread tightly to center and secure; flatten to make a yo-yo. Set aside.
- 5. Continue until all yo-yos are made.
- 6. Follow manufacturer's instructions to cover buttons in coordinating fabric.
- 7. Sew button to center of yo-yo to create flowers. Two yo-yos can be stacked to make a variety of flowers.
- 8. Lay out flowers on sleeve in desired arrangement, glue in place. When glue is dry, slide sleeve over pillow.
by Debra Kinzel for JoAnn Fabrics & Craft Stores