Christmas Angel Stocking
approx. finished size: 9-3/4"x15-1/2"; stitch count: 138 w x 217 h
- 16”x22” White 28-count Evenweave
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- #4 Braid (#025, 028) (Kreinik Mfg. Co., Inc.)
- Mill Hill Glass Seed Bead (00557, 03049) (Wichelt Imports, Inc.)
- Mill Hill Antique Glass Bead (03021) (Wichelt Imports, Inc.)
Backstitch/Longstitch : 2 strand
Cross-stitch : 2 strands floss or 1 strand #4 braid
French Knot : 2 strand floss wrapped 2 times or 1 strand #4 braid wrapped 1 time
- 1. Do not stitch red outline stocking.
- 1. Stitch design centered on fabric over two threads.
- 2. After stitching is completed, place fusible fleece on wrong side of stocking, covering all red lines. Cut stocking shape 1/2” beyond red lines and 1” beyond top edge. Fold top edge in several rows; press.
- 3. Cut two 18”x11” pieces of backing/lining fabric with right sides together. Position fabric under stocking and cut to shape leaving an additional 4” fabric at top. Layer pieces as follows: fabric right side up, design right side up, fabric wrong side up. Pin and stitch 1/2” seams, leaving top edge open and small gap at bottom for tucking in braid. Finish top raw edges by folding over 1/2” to wrong side; stitch.
- 4. Turn stocking to wrong side creating a lining and backing. Slipstitch lining to folded top edge of cross-stitch, catching cording securely.
- 5. Slipstitch cording along edge of stocking tucking ends in at bottom. Slipstitch seam closed.
by Joan Elliott