approx. finished size: 6-1/8"x5-3/8"; stitch count: 86 w x 76 h
- 13”x12” White 28-count Jobelan (Wichelt Imports, Inc.)
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- Buttons (1107T, 1173W) (Just Another Button Co.)
- 12”x12” muslin, backing and batting
- 1/4 yd. fabric for border
- 1/4 yd. fabric for binding
- 11-1/2” dowel rod
Backstitch/Straight Stitch : 2 strands
Cross-stitch : 2 strands
Rice Stitch : 2 strands
Smyrna Cross : 2 strands
- 1. Stitch design centered on fabric over two threads. (Note: Backstitch flowers and leaves, bee swirls, around heart and attach buttons THROUGH all layers after sandwiching piece.)
- 1. Sandwich stitched fabric with batting and muslin. Baste near edge through all three layers.
- 2. After sandwiching, backstitch flowers, leaves, bee swirls, around, and attach buttons through all layers.
- 3. Cut 2-1/2” wide strips from coordination fabric. Draw pencil lines 1-1/4” outside stitched area on front of stitched piece. Add backing fabric to back of sandwiched piece, right side down. Place 2-1/2” strip on drawn line on top of stitching, right sides together and sew using 1/4” seam allowance. Sew between vertical lines; cut off excess fabric. Complete for bottom. Repeat same technique for sides as well. Trim batting, muslin and backing 1/4” beyond finished top on all sides.
- 4. Prepare a hanging sleeve. Cut 2-1/4” strips of needed length for binding; fold in half and bind, inserting handing sleeve on top edge.
by Jackie Hendrick