Romantic Patchwork Journal Cover
- Composition book
- Complementary fabrics, five different prints: 1/4 yd. each
- Osnaburg fabric, two 5-1/4”x 6-1/4”
- Quilt batting, one 5-1/4”x6-1/4”
- Pink fabric, one 2-1/2”x3”
- Vintage lace, 1”-wide, 25” length
- White lace, 3/4”x3”
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss, three coordinating colors
- Vintage-style buttons, three
scissors, ruler, pencil, pins, iron
- Embroidery needle
- Sewing machine with matching thread
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Glue
- 1. Cut the following from complementary fabrics: one 11”x25-1/2” rectangle (for lining), three 6”x6-3/4” rectangles, two 5”x11” rectangles, one 5”x16-1/2” rectangle.
- 2. Using 1/4” seam allowance throughout, with right sides facing, machine stitch 6-3/4” rectangles together, creating one patchwork strip. Press seams open.
- 3. Machine stitch 5”x16-1/2” strip to patchwork strip. Press seams open.
- 4. Machine stitch one 5”x11” strip to each end of patchwork strip. Press.
- 5. With right sides facing, machine stitch patchwork strip to lining rectangle leaving 3” opening at bottom along long side. Trim seam allowance and clip corners; turn right side out. Press well with iron.
- 6. Using two strands embroidery floss, slip stitch opening closed. Topstitch seams using zigzag stitch (for decorative accent).
- 7. Center composition book on fabric rectangle. Fold book in half with excess fabric wrapped to inside. Press with iron and while still folded, remove book. Use pins to hold pressed fold.
- 8. Machine stitch 1/8” from edge around entire book cover. Test size of book cover by positioning composition book into cover. Make adjustments if necessary by trimming cover fabric using scissors.
- 9. Glue 25” lace length onto cover. Re-insert book into cover and set aside.
- 10. For Osnaburg Block, machine stitch around edges leaving 2” opening. Trim seam allowance and turn right side out. Using two strands embroidery floss, slip stitch opening closed.
- 11. Refer to photo and pin remaining fabric to Osnaburg Block. Using two strands embroidery floss, backstitch around edges and along fabric rectangle. Draw freehand heart shape and backstitch outline. Draw another freehand heart shape within heart. Using three strands embroidery floss, add French Knots inside inner heart.
- 12. Secure remaining lace scrap on fabric; attach vintage buttons. Glue finished Osnaburg Block onto book cover.
by Rebekah Meier