Monogrammed Wool Felt Winter Wreath
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt, 1/4 yd. each: Pea Soup, Baby Blue, White
- Grapevine wreath, 20”
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
- Kreinik Iron-on Thread 1/8” Ribbon: Chartreuse, Sky Blue
- Cream burlap, scraps
scissors, craft knife, ruler
- DecoArt: Americana: Acrylic Paints: Hauser Medium Green, Calypso Blue, Light Buttermilk, Asphaltum; Duraclear Satin Varnish; Glazing Medium
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille brushes: Golden Taklon Series 7730 Aura 1/2”, Series 7550C Glaze/Wash 1”, Golden Taklon Series 7000 Mini Round, Series 7300C Shader #4
- Clear Stamps Technique Tuesday: Casablanca
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- 1. Cut 1/3”-wide strips of wool felt from Pea Soup, Baby Blue, and White into varying lengths. Roll lengths up and secure ends with hot glue. Make approximately 65 rolled pieces in varying sizes. Hot glue rolled pieces in random fashion on wreath leaving open space for monogram tag. Let cool.
- 2. Roll Ultralight clay into large sheet on parchment-lined baking sheet. Use craft knife to cut 3-1/2”x6” rectangle and cut top corners at 45° angle. Use toothpick to cut hole on top of rectangle. Use Casablanca stamp to stamp designs over clay rectangle. Roll leftover Ultralight clay into log and form into desired letter for monogram. Press burlap scrap onto letter to texturize.
- 3. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake rectangle and monogram on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool completely.
- 4. Use glaze/wash to wash entire clay rectangle with Light Buttermilk. Let dry. Use Aura brush to paint Calypso Blue into impressions on clay rectangle. Let dry. Use glaze/wash to wash entire monogram with Medium Hauser Green.
- 5. Mix one part Asphaltum with three parts glazing medium. Use round brush to apply mixture into impressions on clay tag. Let dry. Use shader brush to apply mixture into impressions on monogram. Let dry for 10 minutes. Use paper towel to gently rub surface of clay tag and monogram, lifting some glaze mixture. Let dry.
- 6. Use glaze/wash to apply satin varnish onto rectangle and monogram. Let dry.
- 7. Measure and cut 3-1/2” cream burlap circle. Use hot glue to adhere burlap circle onto clay rectangle. Cut 2-3/4” White wool felt circle and hot glue circle onto burlap circle. Hot glue monogram onto center of circles. Let cool.
- 8. Measure and cut two 20” lengths of Chartreuse ribbon and one 20” length of Sky Blue ribbon. Fold ribbon lengths in half and insert folded edge through hole on clay rectangle. Thread other ribbon end through loop and pull tightly. Tie ribbon into bow and trim ends.
by April Moffatt