Festive Holday Banners
- DecoArt: Traditions Artist Acrylics: Brown Madder, Dioxazine Purple, Naphthol AS Hue, Vermilion; Americana Acrylics: Antique Gold, Antique Green, Asphaltum, Burnt Sienna, French Vanilla, Green Tea, Hauser Light Green, Heritage Brick, Jade Green, Olive Green, Payne's Grey, Saffron Yellow
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Majestic: Shader, Series R4150, #2, #6, #8; Angular, Series R4160, 1/4", 3/4"; Script Liner, Series R4585, #1; Round, Series R4250, #3; Glaze/Wash, Series R4700, 3/4"; Filbert, Series R4170, #6, #8; Royal Soft-Grip: White Nylon Blending Mop, Series SG1400, 1/2"
- Foam brush, 1"
- DecoArt Traditions Mediums: Extender & Blending; Glazing; Multi-Surface Sealer
- Cranberry grosgrain ribbon, 3/8"-wide, 3-1/2 yds.
- Birch plywood, 1/8"
- Drill and 1/4" drill bit
- 1. Print out patterns. Cut six banners from plywood; drill holes in upper corners of each banner. Sand both sides and edges of each banner; wipe dust. Apply sealer on all sides.
- 2. Let dry. Lightly sand banners again. Use French Vanilla to base each side of banner; base raw edges Heritage Brick.
- 3. For "Jingle" side, transfer basic pattern lines. Undercoat letters Heritage Brick; overcoat Brown Madder.
- 4. For "Thanks" side, use palette knife to mix a glaze of Burnt Sienna + Extender (1:1). Use foam brush to apply a thin Extender coat on one side of each banner, then use glaze/wash brush to apply glaze mix. While wet, crumple a piece of plastic wrap into a ball; open up. Lay slightly crumpled wrap over glaze mix and gently press wrap onto surface. Carefully remove wrap. Let paint dry. Apply one coat Glazing Medium over prepared banners. Transfer leaf designs only, taking care to place appropriate leaf design on banners so letters will be in correct order when assembled. (Note: "T" on "Thanks" must be on back side of "E" on "Jingle", "H" on back of "L" on "Jingle", "G" on back of "A", "N" on back of "N", "K" on back of "I", and "S" on back of "J".) Base red leaves Heritage Brick, light green leaves Hauser Lt. Green, and darker leaves Antique Green.
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Use palette knife to mix color mixtures in ratios. Use flat or filbert brushes in appropriate size for area to basecoat. When dry, reapply details and apply Extender. Use angular and filberts to apply shading and highlights. Use mop brush to soften areas. Use Glazing Medium as barrier coat to protect dried painted areas before continuing to next painting step; apply up to three Glazing Medium coats to an area in a 24 hour period, allowing to dry thoroughly before applying Extender & Blending Medium.
- Thanks Banner
- 1. Red Leaves: Shade Dioxazine Purple; deepen shading with Payne's Grey. Use #6 filbert and Naphthol AS Hue to highlight. Strengthen highlights with Vermilion; further strengthen highlights with mix of Vermilion + Saffron Yellow + French Vanilla (1:1:tch). Use script liner and mix of Heritage Brick + French Vanilla (2:1) to paint vein lines. Light Green Leaves: Shade Antique Green; deepen shading with Payne's Grey. Use #6 filbert and mix of Hauser Lt. Green + Green Tea (1:1) to highlight; strengthen highlights with Green Tea. Use script liner and Green Tea to paint vein lines.
- 2. Dark Green Leaves: Shade Payne's Grey. Use #6 filbert and mix of Antique Green + Olive Green (1:1) to highlight. Strengthen highlights with Olive Green and then with mix of Olive Green + Green Tea (1:1). Use script liner and Green Tea to paint vein lines.
- 3. Leaf Accents: Extend all leaves. Use filbert to sparingly add accents in Olive Green, Saffron Yellow, Dioxazine Purple, and Brown Madder; mop to soften.
- 4. Barrier: Apply Glazing Medium to banners; let dry. Transfer letters.
- 5. Lettering: Use round brush and mix of Payne's Grey + Dioxazine Purple (2:1) to base main body of letters and script liner to paint serifs.
- Jingle Banner
- 1. Light Leaves: Use #6 shader to base Jade Green. Use 1/4" angular to shade with mix of Jade Green + Antique Green + Payne's Grey (1:1:1); deepen shading with Payne's Grey. Load #6 filbert with Green Tea to add highlights; strengthen highlights with mix of Green Tea + Snow White (1:1). Use script liner and Jade Green to base stems. Use same brush and Green Tea to highlight stems and to add vein lines.
- 2. Dark Leaves: Use #6 shader to base Antique Green. Use 1/4" angular to shade Payne's Grey; deepen shading with mix of Payne's Grey + Asphaltum (1:1). Load #6 filbert with Jade Green to add highlights. Use script liner and Antique Green to base stems. Use same brush and Jade Green to highlight stems and to add vein lines.
- 3. Leaf Accents: Extend all leaves. Use filbert to sparingly add accents in Olive Green, Saffron Yellow, and Brown Madder; mop to soften.
- 4. Holly Berries: Use round brush to undercoat Heritage Brick; overcoat Brown Madder. Use 1/4" angular to shade with mix of Dioxazine Purple + Payne's Grey (1:1).
- 5. Jingle Bell: Base Antique Gold; shade Burnt Sienna and highlight with mix of Antique Gold + French Vanilla (1:1). Use script liner and Payne's Grey to paint openings.
- 6. Burnishing and Flyspecking: Remove tracing lines. Apply Clear Glazing Medium on banners; let dry. Apply Extender over banners; while wet, corner load 3/4" angular to shade (burnish) outer edges. Soften with mop. Let dry. Deepen shading with Asphalutm. Use old toothbrush loaded with tinned Asphaltum to lightly spatter (flyspeck) banners.
- 1. Apply two to three varnish coats.
- Banner Assembly
- 1. Cut five 8" ribbon lengths. Lay banners out with "Jingle" side up. Stagger banners so every other banner is on top; line up holes. Thread one ribbon length through holes and tie in a double knot. Continue same for each letter, making sure to keep every other letter on top. Cut remaining ribbon length in half. Thread each length through end holes of banner and tie in place.
by Judy Westegaard