De"light"ful Holiday Ornaments
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Burnt Orange, Burnt Umber, Flesh Tone, Honey Brown, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Milk Chocolate, Mississippi Mud, Reindeer Moss Green, Rookwood Red, Snow (Titanium) White
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Majestic: Angular, Series R4160, 3/8"; Shader, Series R4150, #10; Short Liner, Series R4595, #0
- Brushes: FM Dynasty Decorator Collection: Dry Brush, Series 200, #8
- Athena Chezza's Fur Brush, 3/16"
- Rust-oleum White Primer
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Satin; Snow-Tex
- Ribbon or fabric scrap of choice, 1/2"-wide
- Recycled light bulbs
- 1. Wash and dry bulbs thoroughly. Apply two to three primer coats. Print out patterns; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 1. Use shader to base face area Flesh Tone. Lightly dry brush cheeks Rookwood Red; add tiny Snow White highlight dots. Use liner and Lamp Black to base eyes; use thinned paint for eyelashes. Use angular and Snow White to float along bottom of eyes; add highlight dots at top of eyes and shine lines along bottom edge. Use angular and Honey Brown to lightly shade behind nose; float Rookwood Red along bottom of nose and float Snow White along top.
- 2. Use fur brush and thinned Mississippi Mud to begin working hair, eyebrows, mustache, and beard. (Note: Be sure to work hair over entire back of bulb.) Repeat using thinned Snow White.
- 3. For hat, paint a 1" wide Reindeer Moss Green band below screw threads. Use liner to add thinned Snow White swirls.
- 4. For hanger, cut a 6" length from ribbon; glue ends to each side of screw threads. Use photo as guide and old brush or craft stick to apply Snow Tex over screw threads and to form hat band.
- Gingerbread Man
- 1. Use shader to base entire bulb Milk Chocolate; paint top of screw thread Lamp Black. Lightly dry brush cheeks Rookwood Red. Paint eyes in same manner as Santa. Use Rookwood Red to base nose; lightly float Snow White across top of nose and add accent shine line along right side. Use liner and Snow White to paint mouth and "icing" line along side of face; dot mouth ends. Float Burnt Umber behind nose and along each side of mouth and icing line.
- 2. Use fabric scrap to add hanger in same manner as Santa. Apply Snow Tex over screw threads omitting top and so bottom edge appears to be dripping.
- 1. Paint eyes in same manner as Santa. Dry brush cheeks Rookwood Red. Use Lamp Black to paint mouth and mouth line; use angular brush to float Snow White along bottom of mouth and to add shine line. Use liner to paint nose Burnt Orange; shade Burnt Umber along bottom edge and use liner to add Snow White snow across top. Lightly float Honey Brown behind nose along bottom and right side, along bottom of mouth, and along outer sides of eyes. Use thinned Burnt Umber to paint vine lines above face.
- 2. Use ribbon to add hanger in same manner as Santa. Apply Snow Tex over screw threads so bottom edge appears to be dripping.
- 1. Apply two to three varnish coats over ornaments.
by Karen Strubel