Pilgrim Pie Keeper
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique Maroon, Antique Mauve, Antique White, Avocado, Burnt Orange, Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow, Dark Chocolate, Evergreen, Graphite, Green Mist, Grey Sky, Hauser Medium Green, Honey Brown, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Buttermilk, Light French Blue, Milk Chocolate, Moon Yellow, Snow (Titanium) White, Soft Blue, Soft Peach, Soft Sage, Tangerine, Tuscan Red, Uniform Blue
- Brushes: FM DynastyBlack Gold, Series 206: Round, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8; Script, #20/0, #5/0; Shader, #14; Flat Wash, 3/4"; Filbert, #8; Fabric Round, Series B1500, #4, #8; Decorator Collection: Mini Mop, Series 400, 1/4", 3/8"
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; DuraClear Varnish, Matte; Acrylic Gesso
- Colonial Pie Keep Folk Art Tin (#FT-2227) from Della and Company
- 1. Wipe metal with damp cloth; let dry. Print out patterns; lightly transfer basic outlines onto surface. (Transfer details as needed.) Use filbert and Gesso to undercoat design areas avoiding areas where vines will be; repeat. Undercoat design areas again with Lt. Buttermilk; repeat.
- 2. Transfer basic shape lines. Spatter lid background Green Mist; use damp cotton swab to wipe spatters from design areas.
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Use rounds to basecoat. Use #5/0 script liner to paint vines and larger details, and #20/0 script liner to paint small details lines. Use shader and flat wash to float, shade, and highlight. Use mops to blend floated colors. Use fabric rounds to dry brush. Refer to pattern as guide for shading (///) and highlighting (...).
- 1. Use following colors to base: Soft Peach: pilgrim heads and hands; Lt. French Blue: blue boy's dark areas of hat, bow and coat; Grey Sky: boys hat bands; Cadmium Yellow: hat buckles; Soft Blue: blue girl's hat crown, bow, and dress; Green Mist: green boy's dark areas of hat, bow and coat; Soft Sage: green girl's hat crown, bow, and dress; Tuscan Red: Apples; Tangerine: Pumpkins (Note: If there is no basecoat color for an area, color will be floated later.)
- Green Pilgrims
- 1. Shade as follows: hands and heads Antique Mauve; hat band and pie tin Graphite; boy's dark bow, hat, and coat areas Evergreen; girl's green hat, bow, and dress Green Mist; collars, sleeve cuffs, apron, girl's hat rim, basket, and pie crust Honey Brown. Use Burnt Sienna to deepen shading on faces and hat buckle. Use Milk Chocolate to deepen shading on basket and pie crust; add detail lines. Use old brush to stipple Graphite on pie tin. Use Dk. Chocolate to paint pie crust holes and add dots.
- 2. Use Green Mist to dot dress and add detail lines; dot cuff buttons. Use Evergreen to deepen shading on girl's hat and dress; paint bow details. Use Milk Chocolate to paint stitch lines on hat rim, cuffs, collars, and apron. Dry brush Antique Mauve cheeks. Paint Lamp Black eyes, eyebrows, and lashes. Add Snow White highlight dots to eyes. Add Antique Mauve noses. Paint hair Dk. Chocolate; add some Antique White highlights.
- 3. Use Lt. Buttermilk to highlight buckle, bows, hands, girl's hat and dress, basket, and hat band. Add Snow White highlight stroke to bows. Dry brush Soft Sage highlights on boy's hat.
- Blue Pilgrim's
- 1. Shade hands and heads Antique Mauve. Use Honey Brown to shade collars, sleeve cuffs, apron, girl's hat rim, basket, and pie crust. Use Burnt Sienna to deepen shading on faces and hat buckle. Use Milk Chocolate to deepen shading on basket; add detail lines.
- 2. Use Uniform Blue to shade dark blue areas on boy. Shade blue areas on girl Lt. French Blue; use Uniform Blue to deepen shading and to dot dress and hat, paint details on bows, dress and hat, and to dot cuff buttons. Use Soft Blue to dry brush highlights on boy's hat and sleeve. Use Lt. Buttermilk to highlight dress, hat, and bows. Use Milk Chocolate to paint stitch lines on hat rim, cuffs, collars, and apron. Dry brush Antique Mauve cheeks. Paint Lamp Black eyes, eyebrows, and lashes. Add Snow White highlight dots to eyes. Add Antique Mauve noses. Paint hair Dk. Chocolate; add some Antique White highlights.
- 3. Float pumpkin in pie Burnt Orange; deepen with Burnt Sienna, dry, then add dots. Shade pie tin Graphite. Add Dk. Chocolate vine on tin. Shade pie crust Milk Chocolate and highlight Snow White. Paint whipped cream Honey Brown highlight Snow White; add Snow White highlight strokes on whipped cream, bows, and buckle.
- 1. Shade pumpkins Burnt Sienna; dry brush and float Moon Yellow highlights. Use Milk Chocolate to shade stems and hangtags; add detailing to hangtags. Use Lamp Black to paint "Apple Pie" on one hangtag and "Pumpkin Pie" on other.
- 2. Use Avocado to float large leaves; float Burnt Sienna here and there. Use Hauser Med. Green to paint green vines; paint leaf detailing. Use Dk. Chocolate to deepen shading on stems; paint details and dark brown vines.
- 1. Shade apples Antique Maroon. Dry brush and float Moon Yellow highlights; add detail lines. Paint stems Milk Chocolate; shade Dk. Chocolate. Paint small green leaves Hauser Med. Green; shade Evergreen.
- 1. Spray entire lid surface with varnish; let dry and spray again. For added protection, apply a thin layer liquid varnish.
- 1. Use some or all of these elements to paint holiday inspired placemats. You can even enlarge your favorite pilgrim design to paint a welcome banner for your front door.
by Karen Wisner