- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Black Green, Black Plum, Burnt Orange, Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Orange, Forest Green, Golden Straw, Hauser Medium Green, Honey Brown, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Milk Chocolate, Payne's Grey, Pumpkin, Raw Umber, Rookwood Red, Sand, Soft Black, Uniform Blue, Warm White
- Brushes: FM Dynasty Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #4, #6, #8, #12; Script, #10/0; Liner, #1; Filbert, #10; Chisel Blender, #6; Decorator Collection: Dry Brush, Series 200, #4, #6; Mini Mop, Series 400, 1/4", 3/8"
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; Easy Float
- Rusty Tin Water Pitcher (10-1/4" tall) from Catalina Cottage
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Add a few drops Easy Float to clean water for ease in floating/highlighting. Use #6 and #8 shaders to basecoat unless otherwise specified.
- 1. Wipe surface with damp cloth; allow to dry. Apply one to two coats sealer/finisher on surface.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 3. Basecoat the following: hat Honey Brown; hat band Rookwood Red; face Sand (use filbert brush); collar and shirt patches Warm White; shirt Forest Green (use filbert); pants Uniform Blue; pant cuffs mix of Uniform Blue + Warm White (1:1); pant patches Rookwood Red; pumpkin, leaf, post, and pumpkin stem Sand. Overcoat pumpkin and leaf with Cadmium Orange, and overcoat post and stem with wash of Burnt Sienna.
- Painting Instructions
- 1. Refer to worksheet. (see photos)
- 1. Use #12 shader and Milk Chocolate to shade sides, under band, along bottom of brim, and in creases. Use Raw Umber to deepen shading along left side, in creases, and on right side of hat on inside. Shade Black Plum along each side of band; deepen shading on left side with Soft Black. Lightly dry brush Warm White highlight at center of hat and band.
- 1. Use Honey Brown to shade under hat and along left side of face; deepen shading on left side with Milk Chocolate. Use liner and Soft Black to paint eyes, eyelashes, mouth, and mouth line. Add Warm White highlight dots to eyes. Dry brush cheeks Rookwood Red.
- 2. Use script liner and thinned Milk Chocolate to line hairs; add second layer of thinned Golden Straw, and finally thinned Raw Umber.
- Collar and Shirt Patches
- 1. Use Honey Brown to shade top of collar along neck, left side, in collar slits, and on right side on inside; shade inside corners of patches. Use Milk Chocolate to deepen shading on left side of collar and inside corners of patches.
- 1. Use script liner and thinned Sand to line checks on shirt and sleeves. Use Black Green to shade along bottom and sides, along collar and patches, above sleeve cuffs, and along both sides of center line. Use Sand to highlight along bottom edge of cuffs; dry brush shirt and sleeves. Line shirt center Lamp Black. Follow "Hay" instructions to add hay to center of shirt. Use handle end of brush to dot buttons Lamp Black; add Warm White button holes. Add hay to sleeve ends.
- 1. Shade Payne's Grey under shirt, along sides, and along top of cuffs. Use Lamp Black to shade creases. Use Payne's Grey to shade sides of cuffs with choppy float; shade along right side of patches. Dry brush Sand on front open area of pants. Add hay to pant ends.
- 1. Use long strokes and script liner to line first layer with thinned Burnt Sienna, second layer thinned Honey Brown, and third layer thinned Golden Straw; add a few thinned Warm White strokes.
- 1. Use Burnt Orange to shade behind sections and bottom; use Raw Umber to deepen top and bottom corners, and along bottom. Float Pumpkin highlight along outer edges and top center. Shade Raw Umber along left and bottom of stem and along bottom of stem tip. Line curly vine Burnt Sienna; while wet, line again with Honey Brown.
- 1. Use Burnt Sienna to shade along base of leaf and top tips; deepen with Raw Umber. Highlight bottom tips with mix of Pumpkin and Warm White (1:1). Line veins and curly vine Burnt Sienna; while wet, add Warm White to veins and Honey Brown to curly vine.
- 1. Use Raw Umber to shade ends and along edges of sleeves, shirt, and pants; deepen with mix of Raw Umber and Lamp Black (1:1). Dry brush Warm White highlights.
- 1. Use liner and long strokes to line first layer Black Green, second layer Hauser Med. Green, and third layer Golden Straw.
- 1. Apply several sealer coats.
by Anita Morin