Halloween Favors & Sorceress Centerpiece
- Plaid FolkArt: Acrylics: Bright Green, Medium Gray, Fresh Foliage, Glazed Carrots, Grass Green, Licorice, Lilac Love, Lime Yellow, Parchment, Purple; Artist's Pigments: Light Red Oxide, Titanium White; Extreme Glitter: Black, Hologram, Orange, Peridot, Purple
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Aqualon: Round, Series R2250, #1, #3, #5; Liner, Series R2595, #20/0; Shader, Series R2150, #4, #8, #12
- Plaid FolkArt: Gesso; Artists' Varnish, Matte
- Jiffy Pots, round peat pots (3-1/2"x3-1/4" tall, four) from your local garden center
- Paper Mache Witch's Hat (#DC280353, 10-1/2"Tx12-1/2") from Hofcraft
- Pigma Micron Pen, black
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Use appropriate size shaders and round to base designs. Use shader to float and liner for detailing.
- 1. Use Gesso to prime pots inside and out, and witch's hat. Use painter's tape to tape off 1-1/2" hat band on hat. Base hat band Glazed Carrots. Use Licorice to base remaining areas of hat and inside of all pots. Apply two coats Black Extreme Glitter to black areas of hat and inside of pots, and two coats Orange Extreme Glitter on hat band.
- 2. Use Titanium White to base pot rims. Base one pot Fresh Foliage, then apply two coats Peridot Extreme Glitter. Base another pot Lilac Love, then apply two coats Purple Extreme Glitter. Base remaining two pots Glazed Carrots, then apply two coats Orange Extreme Glitter.
- 3. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 1. Use slightly thinned Licorice and #4 shader to freehand checks on pot rims; use #12 shader for hatband checks.
- Large Spider and Web
- 1. Use Gesso to undercoat body and sneakers. Base body Lilac Love; shade purple and highlight Titanium White above mouth and cheek lines. Base inside mouth Licorice. Base tongue Glazed Carrots; shade Lt. Red Oxide. Base teeth and eyes Titanium White. Shade eyes sheer Medium Gray; paint pupils Licorice and add Titanium White highlight dots.
- 2. Base sneakers Fresh Foliage; shade Bright Green. Use Titanium White to paint sneaker trims, legs, and spider webs. (Note: Center front of large spider web is coiled spider string; reverse pattern for other half of web. Transfer small spider web on hat brim as desired.) Use stylus and Titanium White to dip-dot knees and web intersections.
- 1. Use Fresh Foliage to base face, knobs, neck, and hands; shade Grass Green and use mix of Lime Yellow + Fresh Foliage (1:1) to highlight brow ridge, nose, cheeks, knobs, chin, and hands. Use #5 round and Licorice to paint hair making bangs shaggy. Use Titanium White to base eyes and teeth. Shade eyes sheer Medium Gray; paint pupils Licorice and add Titanium White highlight dots.
- 2. Use Glazed Carrots to paint lightning bolts on sides of face. Add two Glazed Carrots and two Lilac Love lightning bolts to back of pot as desired.
- Count Dracula
- 1. Use Parchment to base face, neck, and hands; shade Fresh Foliage. Use Licorice to base hair and outside of cape; base inside of cape Medium Gray. Use mix of Medium Gray + Titanium White (1:1) to highlight outside of cape. Base bowtie Lilac Love; use mix of Lilac Love + Titanium White to highlight. Use Titanium White to base eyes, nose, and fangs. Shade eyes sheer Medium Gray; paint pupils Licorice and add Titanium White highlight dots. Use Licorice to paint eyebrows and bats. (Note: Randomly add bats to back of pot as desired.)
- 1. Use Parchment to base face, neck, and hands; shade Fresh Foliage. Use Glazed Carrots to base hair; shade Lt. Red Oxide and use mix of Glazed Carrots + tch. of Parchment to dry brush highlights. Base hat Licorice; highlight with mix of Medium Gray + tch. of Titanium White. Base hatband Lilac Love; shade sheer Licorice and dry brush highlights with mix of Lilac Love + tch. of Titanium White. Use Titanium White to base eyes and tooth. Shade eyes sheer Medium Gray, paint pupils Licorice, and add Titanium White highlight dots to pupils.
- 2. Use Lilac Love to base spiders. (Note: Randomly add spiders to back of pot as desired.) Paint eyes Titanium White and pupils Licorice; add Titanium White highlight dots to pupils.
- 1. Base entire cat Licorice omitting eyes and collar. Undercoat eyes Gesso; base Fresh Foliage. Paint pupils Licorice. Use thinned Titanium White to add long highlights to pupils; highlight eyelids, paws, and nose, and paint mouth line and whiskers. Use Lilac Love to base collar and moon; shade Purple dry brush a touch of Snow White highlight. Base stars on back of pot Fresh Foliage; shade Bright Green.
- 1. Apply two coats Hologram Extreme Glitter to entire hatband, checked rims on pots, lightning bolts, bats, moon, and stars.
- 2. Use micron pen to add small spider's legs and sneakers; add facial details to characters omitting cat.
- 3. Apply varnish over characters and small spiders; Extreme Glitter does not require finishing.
by Linda Hollander