Have a “Boo” ti “fall” Day
- Plaid FolkArt Acrylics: Apple Orchard, Autumn Leaves, Clay Bisque, Dark Night, Lavender, Licorice, Payne's Gray, Pumpkin, Tangerine, Turners Yellow, Vintage Orange, Warm White
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Golden Taklon: Shader, Series 7300, #4, #8, #10, #12; Liner, Series 7350, #10/0
- Krylon Matte Finish
- Cardstock: tan, green, purple*
- Colorbox Liquid Chalk inkpad: Brown, Chestnut Roan*
- Embellishments: yarn, ribbon, pumpkin charm, brads*
- Optional: Canvas paper; lightweight cardboard
- Rusted tin circle, 4" (found at your local craft store)
- Double-sided adhesive*
- Halloween sentiment stamp of choice*
- 1. (Optional: In lieu of tin, glue canvas paper onto cardboard; cut into 4" circle. For optional ornament, poke two holes at one side, spacing 3/4" apart.) Apply light finish coat on tin or matted canvas. Base surface with two coats Dark Night sanding lightly between coats.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines onto surface. (Transfer details as needed.)
- Artist's Tips
- 1. For brush mixing technique, sideload brush with first color listed; soften on palette. Pick up second color on same corner of brush and soften a second time on same place of palette.
- Ghost and Kitty
- 1. Use side-load wash of Clay Bisque to float ghost and kitty along pattern outline. Repeat working in several times causing each layer to get brighter. Use Licorice to shade ghost around edges of pumpkin and to shade kitty separating body parts. Highlight each Warm White.
- 2. Paint ghost's eyes Warm White; dot pupils Licorice. Paint kitty's eyes Licorice; add Warm White highlight dots.
- 3. Use Apple Orchard to float kitty's collar and bag; float several times. Shade Payne's Gray and highlight with brush mix of Apple Orchard and Warm White. Add Lavender and brush mix of Lavender and Warm White polka-dots. Use liner to lightly pull Clay Bisque hairs and whiskers. Paint nose and mouth Licorice.
- Corn Stalk
- 1. Use liner to paint random Turners Yellow stalk lines; shade/highlight with lines of Vintage Orange, then some Tangerine, and finally with brush mix of Vintage Orange and Warm White. Add tassels at tops using same colors. Paint bundle tie in same manner.
- 1. Use wash of Pumpkin to base. Begin shading sections with brush mix of Autumn Leaves and Payne's Gray. (Note: Add a little Burnt Umber if desired for darker pumpkin.) Use Vintage Orange to highlight sections, then dry brush. Brighten highlight with brush mix of Vintage Orange and Warm White. Paint eyes, nose, and mouth Licorice; add Warm White highlight dots to eyes. Paint leaves Apple Orchard; shade Payne's Gray and highlight with a touch of Warm White. Pull some corn stalk lines over base of pumpkin. Use corn stalk colors to paint stem.
- 1. Float Clay Bisque clouds on sky. If desired, spatter left side of ornament Tangerine.
- 2. For ornament, thread 6" ribbon length ends through holes from front to back; tie ends in a knot. (Note: For tin ornament, fold ribbon in half and glue fold to back of tin; tie ends in a knot.) For card, cut a 6-1/4"x9" rectangle from tan cardstock; fold in half for a 4-1/2"x6" top fold card. Cut a 5-1/8" square from green cardstock; ink edges brown. Cut a 4-7/8" square from purple cardstock; round corners. Matte purple square onto green square; press brads through corners. Adhere matted cardstocks onto left side of card. Use double-sided tape to adhere ornament onto card stock squares. Stamp sentiment on right side of card. Embellish with yarn if desired. Use photo as guide to decorate book.
by Bess Daniel