Surf, Sun, & Sand Beach Bag
- DecoArt SoSoft: Fabric Acrylics: Antique Gold, Baby Pink Deep, Bittersweet Orange, Bright Avocado, Brown, Burnt Sienna, Buttermilk, Cadmium Yellow, Dark Chocolate, Dark Burgundy, Dioxazine Purple, Hauser Dark Green, Indian Turquoise, Ivory, Lamp Black, Lavender, Soft Peach, Soft Red, Ocean Blue, Peaches & Cream, White, Wisteria, Yellow Green; Shimmering Pearls: Ultra Blue Pearl
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Wave Filbert, #4, #8; Angular, 1/2", 3/8"; Script, #5/0, #20/0; Round, #1, #4, #8; Shader, #2; Decorator Series: Foliage Wave, Series 100, 1/4", 3/4"; Deerfoot, Series 300, 1/4"
- DecoArt Fabric Painting Medium; SoSoft Glittering Topcoat
- Yacht Tote (#2656-NAT) from Bag Works, Inc.
- Black permanent Micron marker, .005
- Cardboard inserts
- Artist's Tip
- 1. When using script liner with washy consistency, paint should be thinned to consistency thinner than inky consistency, paint washes out easily with water and requires very thin light paint application.
- 1. Apply painter's tape over sewn straps on bag front. Wrap cardboard with plastic wrap; secure with tape. Insert cardboard inside bag to prevent paint from bleeding through.
- 2. For blue background areas, load 3/4" foliage wave brush with White, then double-load with Ocean Blue and Indian Turquoise, do not blend; randomly slip-slap bag reloading brush as needed.
- 3. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.) Use Ultra Blue Pearl to shade behind vertical stripes and behind design elements. Use #4 wave filbert to wash White highlights onto water.
- 1. Use 1/4" foliage wave and mix of Buttermilk + Brown (3 drop) to paint sand area; stipple White in upper areas, then use dirty brush and a touch of Brown to stipple lower areas. Use White to float highlight and Brown to shade along bottom of sand area.
- 1. Shade Brown behind masks. Base glass White. Shade glass edges Ultra Blue Pearl; use chisel edge of #4 wave filbert and washy paint to add diagonal lines. Base remainder of mask Bright Avocado. Use Hauser Dk. Green to paint spots and to shade mask. Highlight mask Yellow Green; brighten with Cadmium Yellow. Base eyes Lamp Black; add White highlight dots and highlight float.
- 1. Base Lavender; highlight Wisteria and shade Dioxazine Purple. Brighten highlight with White. Deepen shading with glaze of Lamp Black. Base eyes and teeth White. Paint pupil Lamp Black; add White highlight dots and highlight float. For nostril; float White then line outer edge. Add Lamp Black nostril hole. Base head scales and yellow dots Cadmium Yellow; highlight White and shade Antique Gold. Base tongue and toenails Soft Red; shade Dk. Burgundy and highlight Soft Peach. Use deerfoot brush to dry brush cheeks Soft Red; add White highlight dot. Base green dots Yellow Green; shade Bright Avocado. Base pink dots Baby Pink Deep; shade Soft Red. Base water drops White; use Ultra Blue Pearl to line shading.
- 1. Undercoat skin areas White. Base skin Soft Peach; shade Peaches and Cream and highlight White. Deepen shading with Burnt Sienna glaze. Use deerfoot brush to dry brush cheeks Soft Red; add White highlight dots. Base eyes White and pupils Lamp Black. Add White highlight dots and highlight float to pupils. Use #4 wave filbert and washy White to enhance highlights on face.
- Girl's Swimsuit
- 1. Base Baby Pink Deep; shade Soft Red and highlight White. Deepen shading with Dk. Burgundy. Use #4 wave filbert and washy Soft Red to enhance shaded areas. Base triangle on neck Soft Red.
- Boy's Shirt
- 1. Base Bright Avocado; shade Hauser Dk. Green and highlight Yellow Green. Use #4 wave filbert and washy Hauser Dk. Green to enhance shaded areas. In same manner, brighten highlights with washy Yellow Green. Base triangle on neck Hauser Dk. Green.
- Children's Hair
- 1. Base Cadmium Yellow; shade Burnt Sienna and deepen with Brown. Use 5/0 script liner to add hair lines in direction of hair flow in following colors: Burnt Sienna, Brown, and Dk. Chocolate. Stroke Dk. Burgundy in shaded areas. If needed, glaze Lamp Black in areas requiring a deeper shadow. Add some thin Ivory highlights.
- Turtle Float
- 1. Base Bright Avocado. Base spots Hauser Dk. Green. Shade turtle Hauser Dk. Green and highlight Yellow Green. Deepen shading with glaze of Lamp Black. Paint eye White and pupil Lamp Black. Add White highlight dots and highlight float to pupils. Use script liner and White to add highlight shine lines on head, "body", and legs. Dry brush cheeks Soft Red; add White highlight dot. Paint collar Lavender.
- Puppy Float
- 1. Base Baby Pink Deep; shade Soft Red and deepen with Dk. Burgundy. Base spots Lavender; shade Dioxazine Purple and highlight Wisteria. Base tongue Soft Red; shade Dk. Burgundy. Dry brush cheeks Soft Red; add White highlight dot. Base nose and tip of tail Lamp Black; highlight White. Paint eye White and pupil Lamp Black. Add White highlight dots and highlight float to pupils. Use script liner to line hair in following colors: Dk. Burgundy, Soft Red, and White allowing each color to show. Use script liner and White to add highlight shine lines on head, "body", and legs.
- Beach Ball
- 1. Base White. Base green section Bright Avocado; shade Hauser Dk. Green. Base pink section Baby Pink Deep; shade Soft Red and deepen with Dk. Burgundy. Base yellow portion Cadmium Yellow; shade Antique Gold and deepen with Bittersweet Orange. Base purple section Lavender; shade Dioxazine Purple and dry brush Wisteria highlight. Use #4 wave filbert and washy White to add highlights.
- 1. Base "Surf" Ocean Blue; shade Ultra Blue Pear and highlight Indian Turquoise. Base "Sun" Cadmium Yellow; shade Bittersweet Orange and highlight White. Base "Sand" Brown; highlight with mix of Buttermilk + Brown (3:1 drop) and shade with Lamp Black glaze.
- 1. Base horizontal stripes Lavender; highlight Wisteria and shade Dioxazine Purple. Use marker to line facial details on children, dragons, turtle, and puppy. Randomly brush Glittering Topcoat over highlighted areas on lettering, sand, waves, toys, and children.
by Christy Hartman