Back to School Necklace and Earrings
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique Rose, Baby Blue, Camel, Cashmere Beige, Cool White, Deep Burgundy, Deep Midnight Blue, French Vanilla, Gooseberry Pink, Grey Sky, Jade Green, Light Avocado, Light Cinnamon, Plantation Pine, Soft Black, Williamsburg Blue
- Brushes: FM Dynasty Black Gold, Series 206: Round, #1; Shader, #2, #4, #8; Script, #20/0; Liner, #0; Angular, 1/8", 1/4"; Flat Wash, 1/2"; Deerfoot, 1/4"
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; Americana Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer; Triple Thick Gloss Glaze
- Beads: rectangle (#01-B809, 1-1/2"x3/4"), five; disc (#01-B812, 3/4"), eight; round, (#01-B594, 1/4"), 40; round (#01-B598, 5/16"), six. Beading wire; earring wire. Items available through Cupboard Distributing
- 1. Fill unused holes in rectangle bead with wood filler; let dry and sand smooth. Lightly sand all wood pieces. Apply one coat multi-purpose sealer to all wood pieces; let dry and sand lightly. Use Soft Black to base tops and backs of rectangle and disc beads; base sides Camel.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- Apple Disc Beads
- 1. Base apples Antique Rose. For necklace beads and earring on right side, shade Deep Burgundy along bottom and up right side; highlight Gooseberry Pink along top and left side. Add tiny Cool White comma stroke highlight on top left of apple. Repeat same on opposite sides for necklace beads and earring on left side. Paint stems Lt. Cinnamon; add tiny Cashmere Beige highlight line down top side of stem. Base leaves Lt. Avocado; highlight Jade Green along top.
- Crayon Bead
- 1. Green Crayon: Base crayon Lt. Avocado. Shade Plantation Pine along right side and along bottom of crayon base; highlight Jade Green along left side and along top of crayon base. Use thinned Jade Green to add fine highlight line down tip and base. Base wrapper Jade Green; shade Plantation Pine along right side. Add thinned Soft Black lines and lettering.
- 2. Blue Crayon: Base crayon Williamsburg Blue; shade and highlight in same manner as Green Crayon using Deep Midnight Blue to shade and Baby Blue to highlight. Base wrapper Baby Blue; shade Deep Midnight Blue along right side. Add thinned Soft Black lines and lettering.
- 3. Red Crayon: Base crayon Antique Rose; shade and highlight in same manner as Green Crayon using Deep Burgundy to shade and Gooseberry Pink to highlight. Base wrapper Gooseberry Pink; shade Deep Burgundy along right side. Add thinned Soft Black lines and lettering.
- Scissor Bead
- 1. Base handles Williamsburg Blue; shade Deep Midnight Blue along right sides and highlight Baby Blue along left. Base blades Grey Sky; lightly shade Soft Black along right sides and highlight Cool White along left. Add Soft Black hinge dot.
- School House Bead
- 1. Base house Antique Rose; shade Deep Burgundy along bottom, up right side, and under eaves. Line roofs Lt. Cinnamon; shade bottom edges Soft Black and highlight top edges Cashmere Beige. Base windows Soft Black. Base door Lt. Cinnamon; use Soft Black to shade and to dot door knob. Use thinned Cool White to frame door and windows and to paint windowpanes. Base bell in top window Camel; shade Lt. Cinnamon along right side and add tiny Cool White highlight line along left side. Base plaque above door Cool White; lightly shade Soft Black. Use thinned Soft Black to paint "EST", date, favorite school initials, or numbers. Base steps Grey Sky; shade Soft Black along bottoms and highlight Cool White along tops.
- Books Bead
- 1. Blue Book: Base spine Williamsburg Blue. Paint band Camel; add thin Antique Rose lines along band edges. Use thinned Camel to paint lettering.
- 2. Shade Deep Midnight Blue along left side of spine and highlight Baby Blue along right.
- 3. Yellow Book: Base spine Camel. Paint stripes and label Antique Rose. Use thinned Camel to paint lettering. Shade Lt. Cinnamon along left side of spine and highlight French Vanilla along right.
- 4. Green Book: Base spine Lt. Avocado. Use thinned Camel to paint stripes and decorative strokes. Shade Plantation Pine along left side of spine and highlight Jade Green along right.
- Pencil Bead
- 1. Base pencil wood Camel; shade Lt. Cinnamon along left side and under metal ferrule. Use Soft Black to deepen shading where pencils overlap. Highlight right side of pencils French Vanilla. Base ferrule Grey Sky; shade Soft Black along left side and below ridges, and highlight Cool White along right side and along top of ridges. Base eraser Gooseberry Pink; shade Antique Rose along left side and add tiny thinned Cool White highlight line at right.
- Disc and Rectangle Bead Sides
- 1. Use thinned Soft Black to add ruler lines around sides of each bead.
- Round Beads
- 1. Base 1/4" beads Soft Black. Base 5/16" beads Antique Rose; wash Deep Burgundy.
- 1. Spray disc and rectangle beads with several light sealer/finisher coats. Apply Triple Thick glaze over round beads.
- 2. String beads on beading wire; attach clasp. Assemble earrings as shown.
by Chris Haughey