Pattern - Americana Teddy Bear Bowl
- 1. Print out full-size patterns. Print patterns to use as guides.
- 2. Condition all clay with hands until soft and pliable on protected work surface. Roll Igloo clay to 1/16" thickness; press scrubbing pad onto surface to texture. Cut four large and one small star; place on baking sheet. For flag, roll small section of Igloo; cut 2"x1-1/4" rectangle. Roll Cherry Pie to same thickness; cut out four 1/4"-wide strips and place on flag. Cut four small stars from Cherry Pie; place on center of large Igloo stars. Texture stars. Roll Robins Egg to 1/16" thickness; cut 3/4"x1/2" rectangle and place on flag. Press small white star onto blue area (field). Gently create folds in flag and wrap left side around top of toothpick. Bake in oven following manufacturer's instructions; let cool completely.
- 3. Using bear pattern as guide, roll body, ears, and head from Latte. Roll logs for legs; place on pattern. Push larger area up to form foot. Roll smaller logs for arms. Attach legs and arms to back of body. Roll small mound for muzzle; press onto face. Press ears onto head. Press head onto body. Add fur texture to body using needle tool.
- 4. Apply Sand Castle bear accents: small flattened oval for chest, small circles for inner ears, small balls for foot pads. Add fur texture using needle tool. Roll two tiny Poppy Seed balls for eyes and one slightly-larger ball for nose; press on face. Mark mouth on muzzle with tool.
- 5. Roll thin Cherry Pie log; form into bow. Press bow under bear chin. Roll tiny Robins Egg ball; poke two small holes in ball to form button. Press onto bow. Place bear on baking sheet, positioning legs and arms as shown. Roll paws slightly to hold flag toothpick. Bake in oven following manufacturer's instructions; let cool completely. Remove flag from bear paws.
- 6. Paint basket sides Cherry Red and rim True Blue; let dry. Seal with varnish; let dry. Thin Raw Sienna with water; apply thinned paint to basket in small areas then remove with damp cloth for "antique" look. Continue around basket; let dry. Repeat antiquing process on stars, bear, and flag. Position flag in bear's paws, spot glue, and let dry.
- 7. Wrap burlap ribbon around basket; trim to fit and adhere ends. When dry, adhere white stars to ribbon. Let dry for at least one hour, then adhere bear to basket. Let dry overnight, propping basket on side to keep bear from sliding out of position.