Candy Cane Bath Fizzies
- FIMO Soft Polymer Clay (Staedler): Cherry Red; White
- Cellophane favor bags, 4”x6”, three
- Ribbon, three lengths: green, 1-1/2”-wide, 9” length; white, 1/8”-wide, 4” length
- Metal-rimmed round tags, three
- Black Fine Point Sharpie (Sanford)
- BATH FIZZIES INGREDIENTS:
- Peppermint essential oil
- Citric acid (“Sour Salt”), 4 Tbsp
- Cornstarch, 4 Tbsp
- Baking soda, 1/2 c
- Grapeseed oil, 3/8 c
- Iridescent soap glitter, 2 tsp
- Witch hazel
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Melon baller or scoop, 1-1/2”
- Mixing bowl
- Cookie sheet
- Waxed paper
- Small spray bottle
- Metal clay cutter or craft knife
- 1. To concoct the bath fizzies, mix the citric acid, cornstarch, and baking soda together in a mixing bowl. Add the soap glitter to the dry ingredients and blend with a spatula. In a measuring cup, combine the grapeseed oil with 20 drops of peppermint essential oil and stir with the spatula. Pour the scented oil into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mash the mixture together with the spatula until it is the texture of cookie dough. (Note: Don't worry if it fizzes a little.)
- 2. Using the melon baller, scoop out a ball of the mixture into your hands and press tightly together to form a ball. Place it onto a cookie sheet covered in waxed paper. Repeat until all of the mixture has been formed into balls.
- 3. Spritz each bath fizzy with one or two sprays of witch hazel. They will fizz at first, but will eventually dry to a crust. Allow the fizzies to air dry for a few hours, then turn them over and spritz the other side. Allow them to dry for 48 hours.
- 4. To create the candy canes, slice off 1/8 of the white clay block using the clay cutter and roll into a 9" snake. Repeat with the red clay. (Wash your hands in between or else the red will transfer onto the white clay.) Cut each snake into two 4-1/2" segments. Twist one red and one white segment together tightly and roll into a smooth snake with a 1/4" diameter. Cut a 4" piece of the red-and-white snake and form into a candy cane. Repeat until you have 6 candy canes. Then bake at 230°F for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- 5. To package your bath fizzies, place three balls into a cellophane favor bag. Create the labels by writing "Candy Cane" on the round tags with a black marker. Tie each bag closed with the white ribbon, slip a tag onto one of the ends, and tie a little knot. Tie the green ribbon around the top of the bag and tuck two crisscrossed candy canes into the knot.
- Recipe For Success
- 1. If your bath fizzies are crumbly and won't stick together, add a few more drops of oil. If they seem too gooey, add more cornstarch.
- Crafty Shopping Tip
- 1. Citric acid is a sour salt that comes from lemons and limes. You can buy it in the grocery store in the spice aisle.