Clay-Wrapped Jar Trio
sizes: 4"x9", 5"x11", 5"x10"
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Oven-Bake Clay: Purple, White, Beige, Turquoise, Green
- Recycled glass jars with lids, three
- Glass candlesticks, two
- Polyform Sculpey: Clay Conditioning Machine, Super Slicer, Texture Wheel
- Clearsnap Smooch Spritz Accent Sprays: Citrus Tickle, Carrot Cake, Splash
- Circle cookie cutter, 1/2”
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- Beacon Adhesives Quick Grip All-Purpose Permanent Adhesive
- oven mitts, wax paper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Condition 1/4 block of each clay in hands until soft and pliable. Use clay blade to cut clay into tiny slices. Gather clay slices into ball; form into log. Twist log with hands on each end creating swirled cane shape.
- 2. Follow manufacturer's instructions to run cane through conditioning machine into flat sheet large enough to fit around one glass jar. Trim edges of sheet and wrap around jar; trim off excess. Smooth joined edges. Repeat process, rolling cane through conditioning machine for remaining two jars. For design with holes, after running clay through conditioning machine, use cookie cutter to cut circles from sheet. Wrap around jar and trim edges as before.
- 3. Roll Turquoise clay into log; run through conditioning machine on medium setting. Remove and position on work surface. Roll Texture Wheel along Turquoise clay; trim on either side of design, creating thin strip. Wrap strip around neck of jar or edge of lid; smooth edges. Repeat process, creating textured strips for remaining jars.
- 4. For flower, roll Turquoise clay into skinny snakes. Form five petal shapes and press tips together on work surface. Roll five small balls of Orange clay; flatten and form into petal shapes. Press ends of Orange petals on inside of Turquoise petals. Roll small Purple ball; flatten on work surface. Use toothpick or needle tool to poke holes on center of ball; press on center of Orange petals.
- 5. Bake jars and flower on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven at 275º for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- 6. Spray Citrus Tickle, Carrot Cake, or Splash accent spray onto textured areas on clay to highlight. Let dry.
- 7. Adhere flower onto side of jar. Let dry. Adhere glass jars onto top of candlesticks. Let dry overnight to set.
- 1. Use bits and pieces from your leftover clay projects to create multicolored clay sheet.