Retro Holiday Ornament
- Original Sculpey Oven-Bake Clay (Polyform Products)
- Acrylic paints: pearl white; aqua; lavender; white; yellow; green
- Glitter: silver; white; green; pink
- Ribbon, 1/2 yd.
- Wooden embroidery hoop, 3-1/2”
- Vintage millinery or silk flowers and leaves
- Craft knife
- Waxed paper or glazed ceramic tile (for rolling out clay)
- Acrylic brayer or rolling pin
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Craft glue
- 1. Follow manufacturer's instructions to condition clay. Pull of a chunk of clay and roll into a donut hole-sized ball.
- 2. Place ball on ceramic tile or waxed paper and roll out to 1/4" thickness.
- 3. Place embroidery hoop on rolled out clay and use craft knife to trace around inside of hoop, cutting all the way through clay to form a circle. Set excess clay aside.
- 4. Use finger to smooth circle edges.
- 5. Roll out excess clay to 1/4" thickness, and use craft knife to cut out desired shapes for village. Simple ideas for ornament include a house, tree and free form snow drifts. Use craft knife to add simple lines for details or bricks.
- 6. Gently arrange cut out on circle of clay and follow manufacturer's instructions to bake clay. Let cool.
- 7. While clay cools, basecoat embroidery hoop white. When cool, paint vignette.
- 8. When paint is dry, apply thin layer of craft glue to desired glitter areas. If using multiple glitter colors, apply only one color at a time and let dry completely before applying another color. Quick Tip: Place ornament on paper plate while glittering to save excess glitter for later use.
- 9. When dry, apply glue to inside of embroidery hoop and place clay vignette inside to secure. Glue ribbon to outside edges of embroidery hoop.
- 10. For hanger, thread ribbon through hoop fastener and knot ends. Glue bits of vintage millinery or silk flowers to fastener to conceal metal hardware.