Shore Décor Set
Shore Décor Set
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Oven-Bake Clay: White, Denim, Turquoise; Accents Silver, Pearl, 18K Gold, Copper
- Terra cotta pot, 4”
- Glass votive holder, 2-1/2”
- Polyform: Sculpey Clay Conditioning Machine, Liquid Sculpey
- Oval cutter, 2”-wide
- Acrylic roller
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- White tacky glue
- sponge scrap, dry sponge, craft knife, spoon, needle tool or toothpick, wax paper, clear-drying super glue, scrap paper, clay blade
- 1. Condition clays by running separately through clay conditioning machine on widest setting. Fold clay in half after each pass and insert folded side into rollers first. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- 2. Apply thin layer of white tacky glue on terra cotta pot using sponge scrap; let dry. (Note: This will aid in helping clay adhere to surface.)
- 3. Working on wax paper, roll half package of White clay into 1/8" thickness. Wrap lower portion of terra cotta pot and votive holder with clay; blend seams using fingertips. Gently rub clay with dry sponge to create textured look.
- 4. Roll White, Denim, and Turquoise clay separately into 1/8"-thick sheets. Stack sheets and run through clay conditioning machine on thickest setting. Remove and cut sheet in half; restack and run through machine again. Repeat one more time, creating 12 layers of marbled clay.
- 5. Cut sheet into quarters and stack into marbled loaf shape. Press spoon or curved tool into loaf in manner similar to drawn waves. Compress sides of loaf to firm up block. Use clay blade to slice loaf parallel to surface. Smooth and press several thin slices along rim on terra cotta pot and votive. Smooth edges to blend pieces together.
- 6. Bake terra cotta pot and votive on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven following manufacturer's instructions. Let cool.
- 7. For napkin rings, wrap scrap paper around oval cutter. Use craft knife to slice thin sheet from marbled clay loaf; wrap sheet around oval cutter. Blend edges and trim as needed. Remove napkin ring with paper from oval cutter; position on parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat process to create additional napkin rings. Bake napkin rings in oven; let cool.
- 8. Use scrap pieces of Silver, Pearl, 18K Gold, and Copper clays to create seashells and starfish. For snail shell, roll 2"-long clay snake; form end into point. Curl snake into spiral. Experiment by rolling two skinny snakes together and curling into spiral. For starfish, roll Copper clay into ball and gently flatten on work surface. Use craft knife to cut star shape; smooth tips using fingertips. Texture surface with dry sponge. For flat shells, marble metallic clays together as explained in Steps 4 and 5. Press pea-sized marble ball into flat circle. Use toothpick to add lines on shell fanning out across circle; gently curl edges under.
- 9. Apply drop of Liquid Sculpey on back of shells and starfish; press onto terra cotta pot, votive, and napkin rings. Bake all pieces in oven. Let cool.
- 1. Spot glue seashells and starfish on décor pieces using clear-drying super glue after baking.