Romantic Heart Votive
Add a soft glow to the wedding shower or dessert table with this inexpensive votive holder. Substitute heart shape with other wedding designs using cookie cutters.
Romantic Heart Votive
- Glass votive/vase, 4”x6-1/2”
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Accents Oven-Bake Clay: Purple Pearl, Frost White Glitter; Translucent Liquid Sculpey
- Iridescent embellishments: seed beads, pearl strings, medium pearl beads
- Orchid organza ribbon, 1/2”-wide
- Small candle or battery-operated tea light
- Polyform Sculpey Acrylic Roller
- Cookie cutters: heart, 3”, 2”; flower, 1/2”
- Krylon Frosted Glass Finish
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- Thick white tacky glue
- scissors, toothpicks, craft brush, newspaper (to cover work surface), plastic place mat, ruler
- 1. Size is 4"x6-1/2"
- 1. Working on plastic place mat, condition clay until soft and pliable. Roll Frost White Glitter clay to 1/8" thickness using acrylic roller. For each votive, cut one large heart from clay using cookie cutter. Use smaller heart shape to cut heart shape from center of large heart; remove inner heart. Place large heart outline on parchment-lined baking sheet. Squeeze Translucent Liquid Sculpey into center cut-out area. Sprinkle seed beads over cut-out area. Use toothpick to move beads around inside edges. Set aside.
- 2. Roll Purple Pearl clay to 1/8" thickness using acrylic roller. Use flower cookie cutter to cut 10 flowers from clay. Position flowers on parchment-lined baking sheet. Use toothpick to mark petal lines.
- 3. Bake clay shapes in oven at 275º for five minutes. Let cool completely. Remove from oven.
- 4. In well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area, spray outside of glass votive with Frosted Glass Finish following manufacturer's instructions. Let dry. Apply second coat. Let dry.
- 5. Adhere ribbon around rim and base of votive using tacky glue. Let dry.
- 6. Apply glue to back of heart outline; press onto one side of votive at slight angle. Let set. Adhere flowers around heart outline. Apply dot of glue to center of each flower; press pearl bead on center. Position votive, with flat side down, on work surface. Let dry for two hours.
- 7. Adhere strings of pearls to center of ribbon on rim and base. Let dry.
- 8. Insert small candle or battery-operated tea light inside votive.
- 1. Save the cut-out clay heart from Step 1 for a great place marker. After baking, stamp guest names on center using pigment ink for a fast, personalized favor.