Big Foot Bunny
This little bunny's heart is even bigger than his feet, and he makes a great first project for crafters new to polymer clay.
Big Foot Bunny
- Polyform Sculpey III Clay, one pkg. each: White, Hot Pink, Lime, Spring Lilac, Yellow, Blue
- Black seed beads, two
- Green wire, 24-gauge
- Polyform Sculpey Clay Tool Starter Set
- Pink chalk or blush
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- ruler, waxed paper or aluminum foil, cotton swab, toothpicks
- 1. Size is 3-1/2" tall.
- 1. Preheat oven to 275°F; do not use microwave.
- 2. Cover work surface with waxed paper or aluminum foil. On clean work surface, condition each package of clay until soft and pliable. Clean hands between colors.
- 3. For body, roll 1" ball of White clay and form into rounded teardrop. Flatten base against work surface so body will sit upright.
- 4. For feet, roll two 3/4" White balls and form into rounded teardrops. Press feet lengthwise against work surface to flatten bottoms. Press small end of each foot to bottom of body. Using needle tool from Clay Tool Starter Set, make two lines in front of each foot to divide toes.
- 5. For arms, roll 3/4" White ball and divide in half. Roll each half into small log and press to shoulders, bending arms around back and pressing paws together.
- 6. For head, roll 1" White ball and form into rounded triangle. Break toothpick in half and press one end into top of body. Press head down onto toothpick at desired angle, using photo as guide. Press clay pieces together firmly.
- 7. For ears, use photo as guide to make two White flattened teardrops and two slightly smaller Hot Pink flattened teardrops. Press Hot Pink ears to White ears and press to top of head as shown.
- 8. For nose, roll 1/8" Hot Pink ball and form into oval. Press nose to face. Using needle tool, make vertical line in head under nose; continue line down center of body.
- 9. For heart, roll 1/4" Hot Pink ball and divide in half. Form each half into small teardrop and press halves together to make heart. Press heart to body as shown.
- 10. For eyes, press seed beads into head. Use needle tool to make lines for eyebrows and to poke three holes in each cheek to create illusion of whiskers.
- 11. For small flower, roll and flatten small Spring Lilac rope. Wrap clay into spiral rose. For leaf, roll small Lime ball and flatten into teardrop; make vein line using needle tool. Press leaf to back of flower; press flower to head.
- 12. For large flower, cut length of wire to reach over ears. Roll five small Spring Lilac balls and form into teardrops for flower petals; make line down center of each petal using needle tool. Press petals together to make flower. Roll tiny Yellow ball and press to flower center. For leaves, roll small Lime balls and flatten into teardrops; make vein lines using needle tool. Press leaves to back of flower. Roll small Spring Lilac ball and press to back of flower. Insert one end of wire into back of flower; insert opposite end down through bunny's paws and into back to stabilize flower.
- 13. For eggs, mix Lime, Spring Lilac, and Blue clays with White to make pastel shades. Roll small oval-shaped eggs and press to bunny's foot.
- 14. Using cotton swab, add pink chalk to cheeks and toes.
- 15. Bake clay on parchment-lined baking sheet at 275°F for 30 minutes per 1/4" thickness. Let clay cool in oven.
- 1. Instead of adding large flower, bend a spiral into top end of wire to create fun Easter place card holders.