Revitalize your décor by embellishing your ceiling with this unique medallion created from clay!
- Polyform Sculpey White Clay
- Large plastic circle templates: 5”, 6”, 8”
- Circle cookie cutters: 1-1/2”, 2-3/4”, 3-1/4”
- Leaf cookie cutters, small and large
- White ceiling paint (or color to match ceiling)
- Polyform Sculpey Clay Mat
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin and pasta machine
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- White trim screws, screwdriver, awl, hammer, drill
- craft knife, needle tool, ruler or straight edge, paintbrush
- 1. Size is 8-1/4" diameter.
- Ceiling Medallion
- 1. Run very large sheets of clay through pasta machine on thickest setting. (Note: Make double-wide sheet because 8" circle shape needed for base is wider than sheets of clay.) Working on clay mat, use ruler or straight edge and craft knife to trim edges of two 8-1/2" sheets of clay and butt straight edges together. Smooth joint with finger to make one solid sheet. Repeat this process to make another wide sheet. Position second wide sheet on top of first, turning it 90º so that seams in sheets are perpendicular to each other. Hand roll two sheets together to join. Cut out 8" circle from this double-thick sheet. (Note: If you mark clay circle with lightly-scored lines into fourths, you can line up all circles on top of each other.)
- 2. Make single-thickness 6" circle. Mark 6" circle with lightly-scored lines into fourths and position it on top of 8" circle, lining up scored lines. Repeat, making three more single-thickness circles and marking them into fourths for 5", 3-1/4", and 2-3/4" circles. Position circles on top of each other, lining up scored lines and hand-rolling between each layer to join. Cut 1-1/2" hole on center of 2-3/4" circle that goes through every layer. Smooth edges of each layer with finger.
- 3. From single-thickness sheet of clay, cut out 12 small leaves and four large leaves. Using scored lines as reference, position 12 small leaves around outside edge of largest circle. Score veins into each leaf with needle tool or craft knife. Arrange four large leaves covering scored lines on circle. Press leaves into place with fingers. Score vein lines on each leaf.
- 4. (Note: If you are going to make screw holes in raw medallion, do so now. Make holes in 6" ring with large needle tool or awl. Make sure hole is smaller than head of screws that you will use to install medallion.) Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake medallion on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Use oven mitts to remove warm medallion from parchment and place directly on counter to cool so edges will not curl when cooling. If drilling screw holes in medallion, do so when medallion is completely cool. Make sure drill bit is smaller than head of screw; drill at slight angle going toward center hole.
- 5. Paint finished medallion as desired.
- 6. To install medallion, hold medallion in place up to ceiling. Poke the drill through hole in medallion and into ceiling. Repeat with each hole. Screw medallion in place with screws. Cover each screw head with raw piece of White Sculpey.
- 1. This is a very large design so it works well to create the piece on a clay mat. The clay mat will keep large pieces from sticking to your work surface. It is also easier to transfer the piece to a baking sheet without disturbing your design. The clay mat can go directly into the oven with your project on a parchment-lined baking sheet.