- Wooden birdhouse (with six sides), 9-1/2”x6-1/2”
- Polyform: Sculpey III: String Bean, Black, Yellow, Hazelnut, Gray, Purple, Orange; Studio by Sculpey: Evergreen, Lime Green; Pluffy Glow in the Dark
- Polyform Sculpey Super Slicer
- Polymer Clay Central: Clay Wood Texture Sheet
- Acrylic roller or clay-dedicated rolling pin
- Black acrylic paint
- Brown decorator’s chalk
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Heavy-duty tacky glue
- scissors, ruler, pencil, white scrap paper for patterns, toothpick, paintbrushes
Pattern - Haunted House
- 1. On covered work surface, paint wooden birdhouse black. Let dry.
- 2. Remove clay from packages and condition separately in hands until pliable. For roof, roll String Bean into 1/4"-thick sheet. Measure and cut 1"x1-1/2" rectangles (for shingles). Use slicer to make diagonal notches in each rectangle, creating weathered and old look. Use tacky glue to adhere shingles onto birdhouse roof, beginning at base and working up, creating layered look. To create layers, begin at bottom of roof and position one shingle at a time in rows around house. Continue working by adding next layer, slightly overlapping edges, covering roof completely. Trim clay at angle of roof to ensure shingles fit properly.
- 3. Roll 2" Orange ball. Layer Black and Yellow clay into cane shape; use slicer to cut thin pieces. Cover Orange ball with cane slices. Position covered ball on top of roof; apply glue to adhere. Roll tiny Green ball and press ball onto top of Orange ball.
- 4. For walls, roll Orange clay into 1/4" thickness. Measure sides of birdhouse and create paper pattern. Lightly spray clay sheet with water; press wood texture sheet into Orange clay. Press down evenly and remove texture sheet. Position wall paper pattern onto textured clay and use super slicer to cut out wall sides. Glue wall sides onto house using tacky glue. Repeat process creating six wall sides (or however many are needed for birdhouse sides). Align edges and use fingers to smooth seams.
- 5. Print out patterns.
- 6. Cut two windows from Glow in the Dark clay. Cut four Black shutters and four Lime Green shutters. Position windows on side walls and spot glue to secure. Position black shutters with green shutters on top of windows and glue. Cut small Black strips (for window panes) and glue above and below each window.
- 7. Position black/yellow cane on front of bird perch. Create leaves by rolling clay balls and pressing flat. Pinch end of each leaf, use toothpick to make vein line. Use two different colors of Green for leaves and vines. Mix Evergreen and Lime Green clay together or use separately.
- 8. Cover inside of hole of house with Glow in the Dark. Measure and cut 1/4" Glow in the Dark cube and roll into log; wrap log around inside of hole and glue to secure. For ghost, roll from Glow in the Dark: oval ball (head), skinny snake (arm), two tiny Black balls (eyes). Press arm on back of head and eyes on center of head. Position ghost in hole; use glue to secure.
- 9. For tree, roll Brock clay snake. Roll three smaller snakes from tree base (for roots). Glue tree on side of house. Roll Brown snakes and press on tree (for limbs). Use toothpick and super slicer to make marks in tree and on limbs to create wooden texture. Press Green vines around tree. Roll skinny Gray snakes and press on tree limbs (for moss). Cut bat from Black and glue on tree. Roll two tiny Glow in the Dark balls (for eyes) and use toothpick to apply glue on eyes; press on bat.
- 10. Cut cat from Black and glue onto back of house. Roll two tiny Glow in the Dark eyes; use toothpick to apply glue on eyes and press on cat.
- 11. For bushes, roll two Green balls and flatten. Press skinny Brown snakes onto bushes, creating limbs. Press larger bush on side of house with smaller bush on top, slightly overlapping edges. Add Green vines and leaves on bushes. Cut two Black bats and position on bushes.
- 12. For pumpkins, roll two Orange balls, one smaller than other. Roll two small Brown squares (stems). Press stem on top of each pumpkin. Add Green leaves around the stem. Roll tiny Black balls (eyes) and skinny Black snake (mouth). Use toothpick to make indentations in pumpkins.
- 13. Cut black bat and glue onto roof. For spider, roll 1/2" Black ball (body), 1/4" Black ball (head), and four 1-1/2"-long Black snakes (legs). Press head on body and legs underneath body, creating eight short legs. Curl legs upward. Position spider on roof and spot glue. Roll four tiny Glow in the Dark eyes; use toothpick to apply glue on eyes and press on spider and bat.
- 14. Use brown decorator's chalk and paintbrush to highlight edges of roof shingles, around windows and shutters, and indentations on pumpkins.
- 15. Position birdhouse on parchment-lined baking sheet. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake birdhouse in oven for approximately 1 hour 15 min. Let cool completely.