Pattern - Americana Bluebird House
- 1. On clean work surface, condition French Blue clay. For bluebird, roll two 3" balls and set one aside. Roll other 3" ball into 2-1/2"-long log. Form log into bird shape; see photo. Use end of paintbrush handle to add two eye indents. Press bird on perch and remove.
- 2. With remaining 2" French Blue ball, roll clay on #1 setting on clay machine into 1/8"-thickness. Print out patterns. From 1/8"-thick clay sheet, use craft knife to cut out two large and one small star shapes and two 1" wing shapes. Use toothpick to add details on wings. Press wings on bird's body, smoothing edges.
- 3. Position bird and stars on parchment-lined baking sheet. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake clay in oven. Let cool completely.
- 4. On covered work surface, paint birdhouse ivory. Let dry. Paint roof and the base of birdhouse red. Let dry. Line edges of roof and base black. Let dry. Use end of paintbrush handle to add ivory dots on black edges.
- 5. Paint two small black eyes on either side of bird's head centered on toothpick indents. Let dry. Highlight dot eyes ivory. Mix red and ivory, creating pink color. Paint breast on bird pink. Paint small ivory star on center of blue clay stars.
- 6. When completely dry, use glue gun to adhere Spanish moss on opening of birdhouse. Adhere two large stars on either side of roof. Adhere small star on front of roof where top peaks. Adhere bluebird on perch. Clean and remove glue strings.