Stamped Clay Pins
Craft Marketing Connections, Inc.
Using clay and any deeply-etched stamp, you can easily create your own personalized brooch.
Stamp Clay Pins
Stamped Clay Pins
- Fimo Soft Oven-Bake Polymer Clay: Sunflower, Cherry Red, Brilliant Blue
- Toner Fun Wire: Copper, 24-gauge, 9” length
- Bar pin, 1” long
- Rubber stamp of choice
- Clay-dedicated pasta machine or acrylic brayer
- Acrylic paint in two coordinating colors of choice
- Gold gel marker
- Fiskars Deckle Paper Edger
- Slicing blade
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- All-purpose adhesive
- paintbrush, oven, craft snips, baby wipe
- 1. Approximate size: 2" across
- 1. Follow manufacturer's instructions to condition clay. Roll through pasta machine set at thickest setting or use acrylic brayer to roll to 1/8" thick. (Note: For added durability and texture when stamping, use two thin layers of clay placed on top of one another.)
- 2. Place each rolled-out color of clay on parchment-lined baking sheet. Stamp as desired, leaving a deep impression. Trim edges with clay blade or decorative-edged scissors, leaving 1/4" border. Using photo as guide, place two like images of different colors together, fanned out on top of each other. Press together firmly.
- 3. From scraps, roll six pea-sized balls, three of each color. Cut wire into three 3" lengths. Use one wire length to make three holes in bottom edge of assembled pin, 1/4" from edge. Enlarge holes to twice wire diameter. Bend wires into squiggles and make tiny hook on one end of each length.
- 4. Insert hooks into three balls and press remaining balls to bends in wire. (Note: Wires will be attached to pin after baking and cooling.) Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake and cool all pieces (and additional scraps to practice antiquing).
- 5. For antiqued look, paint over pin with coordinating acrylic paint and wipe off, leaving paint in recessed areas. Using photo as guide, add details with gold gel pen.
- 6. Insert wire ends through front of pin; twist at back to secure. Adhere bar pin to back.
- 1. To clean pasta machine between colors, pass a baby wipe through it.