Snow Globe Pendant
- STAEDTLER FIMO White Air Basic Clay, 1 pkg.
- Recycled mini glass bead vial or tiny jar
- Orange seed bead
- White thin cording
- Thick craft wire
- Round-nose pliers
- Distilled water (or boiled and cooled water)
- STAEDTLER Lumocolor Black Permanent Marker
- Clear or white glitter
- Clear nail polish
- Adhesives: aquarium sealant; white craft glue
- 1. Cut two 1" wire lengths. Form loop in center of one wire length using round-nose pliers; twist ends together. Leave other wire straight. See Photo 1.
- 2. On clean work surface, roll White clay ball large enough for base of jar. Push mouth of jar onto clay ball so it creates tight-fitting cap for jar. Roll another clay ball for top of jar; smooth and shape to look like fallen snow. Insert wire loop into clay cap. See Photo 2.
- 3. Remove glass vial from clay base, taking care to not distort impression. Poke straight wire into center of base. Create three graduated clay balls (for snowman). See Photo 3. Insert wire length through snowman for assembly later. (Note: Remember that snowman will have to fit inside small vial.) Set aside vial and wire lengths. Allow clay pieces to air-dry overnight to harden.
- 4. Use aquarium sealant to adhere orange seed bead nose onto snowman. Coat snowman and inside of base with clear nail polish; let dry before applying second coat. See Photo 4. Let nail polish cure for few hours. Use aquarium sealant to adhere wire loop back into clay cap; adhere cap onto flat bottom of vial.
- 5. Make dots on snowman for eyes, mouth, and buttons using Black marker.
- 6. Measure and pour one teaspoon of glitter into vial. Add teaspoon of glycerin and fill vial with distilled water, leaving 1/4" free. See Photo 5. Completely coat clay impression on base with aquarium sealant. (Note: This will seal water in, creating a solid barrier with no gaps.) Keeping edges dry, push snowman base into jar and press to secure. Let glue set by leaving piece upside down. (Note: If jar has an air bubble, you can re-open it before the glue sets and add more water. If the piece overflows because of too much water, re-open piece and dry contents and then re-apply aquarium sealant.)
- 7. Roll small White clay log and wrap around area where bass meets glass vial. Smooth new clay into old clay; allow to air-dry overnight to harden. See Photo 6.
- 8. Apply white craft glue on clay surfaces; sprinkle with clear glitter. Let dry. Insert 24" length of white cording through loop on cap; knot ends.