sizes: 5-1/2", 7"
- Recycled plastic bottles: 2L soda, personal water
- Polyform Sculpey Bake Shop Clay: Purple, Green, White, Black, Yellow
- Orange eyelash yarn, small amount
- Black string
- Paper clip
- Krylon Gloss Black Fusion for Plastic Paint
- Old or promo credit card (for cutter), acrylic roller or clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- Aleene’s Super Thick Tacky Glue
- scissors, ruler, paintbrush, black marker, newspaper (to cover work surface), outdoor sealer (optional)
- 1. Adults, help kids when baking clay in oven.
- 2. On clean work surface, remove clay from packages. To condition, roll clay separately in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- 3. For teeth, roll White clay ball and slightly flatten. Use old credit card to cut five triangles (for large spider) and two triangles (for small spider). For eyes, roll two medium Yellow balls, two small Green balls, and two tiny Black balls. Press Green balls on Yellow balls and Black balls on Green Balls. Roll slightly smaller balls for small spider. For noses, roll small Purple ball and slightly flatten. Make two indentations in nose as shown in photo and outline with black marker. Position clay items on parchment-lined baking sheet. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake items in oven. Let cool.
- 4. For bodies, cut top 2" portion from recycled plastic bottles. Recycle other portions.
- 5. Use black marker to measure and mark line 4" from bottom of 2L bottle (for large spider) and 3" from bottom of personal water bottle (for small spider). Cut 10 strips around bottle from end to line. Cut off two strips from group, creating eight strips (for legs). Use scissors to round bottom of legs.
- 6. Apply Gloss Black spray paint on spiders. Let dry. Bend legs upward, creating appendages.
- 7. Adhere small amount of eyelash yarn (hair) on top of spider. Adhere eyes, teeth, and nose on spiders.
- 8. For hanger, adhere paper clip on body. Measure and cut 20" string length; insert length through paper clip and knot ends.
- 1. Create a gauze or cotton batting spider web for a spooky display idea. Apply sealer on spiders if displaying outside.