Bookworm Note Holder
Bookworm Note Holder
- Recycled CD
- Darice Craftwood Chalkboard with Frame, 2”x3”
- Polyform Sculpey II Oven Bake Clay: Ballerina, Beige, Chocolate, Emerald, Granny Smith, Red Hot Red, Silver, Yellow
- Black plastic-coated wire, 11” length
- Black seed beads, two
- Pink powdered blush
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Light Cinnamon, Warm White
- Wooden dowel or clay-dedicated rolling pin
- Old or promo credit card (for cutter)
- Eclectic Products E6000 Adhesive
- black marker, ruler, toothpick, cotton swab, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Adults, help kids when baking clay in oven.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint chalkboard frame Light Cinnamon. Let dry. Write teacher's name with Warm White. Let dry.
- 3. On clean work surface, remove clay from packages. To condition, roll clay separately in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- 4. For base, roll 1-1/2" Emerald clay ball. Flatten clay into 3"x3" mound. Press chalkboard into base, creating indentation in clay. Remove chalkboard.
- 5. For apple, roll 1-1/2" Red Hot Red clay ball, 1/4" Chocolate log (stem), and 1/4" Granny Smith log (leaf). Press stem into top of apple. Flatten leaf; press leaf on top of apple. Use toothpick to add leaf lines and details. Press apple on one side of base.
- 6. For pencil, roll 3/4" Yellow clay ball; flatten into 1-1/2" log. For eraser, roll 1/4" Ballerina clay ball. Press eraser on end of pencil. Roll 1/4" Silver clay ball; flatten and wrap around area between pencil and eraser. Use toothpick to add details. Press pencil on base.
- 7. For worm, roll one 1/2" ball and four 1/4" balls from Granny Smith clay. Press balls together, forming body. Push seed beads (eyes) into larger ball. Press worm on top of chalkboard, then remove.
- 8. For note holder, cut 10" wire length. Curl one end into spiral; insert other end in base.
- 9. Position note holder and worm on parchment-lined baking sheet. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake clay items in oven. Let cool completely.
- 10. Use cotton swab to blush worm's cheek pink. Use black marker to color in pencil point and write "No. 2" on center of pencil.
- 11. Glue chalkboard on base, worm on chalkboard, and base on center of recycled CD.