Pattern - Black Crow Votive
- 1. Condition clay until soft and pliable. Roll clay to 1/8" thickness using acrylic roller. Print out full-size patterns. Cut patterns from paper; position on clay and use needle tool to cut from clay.
- 2. Use needle tool to mark lines for feathers on crow's body and wing; indent crow's eye. Position crow on side of square vase; press wing on crow. Cut out several branches from rolled clay; use needle tool to mark lines on branches. Press branches below crow's feet and use fingers to blend together. Cut several extra branches and press on sides of vase. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake vase on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 3. Gently remove clay pieces from vase, being careful not to break them. Use knife cutting tool to help pry clay pieces from vase if needed. Set aside.
- 4. Use flat paintbrush to apply découpage medium onto one side of vase. Tear 2" orange and yellow tissue paper pieces and press on vase randomly, overlapping pieces. Use paintbrush and découpage medium to paint over tissue paper. Let each side dry before finishing all sides. Let dry completely.
- 5. Use paintbrush to drybrush Burnt Orange over tissue paper for glistening look. Let dry.
- 6. Apply glue to back of clay crow and branches. Adhere crow on front of vase. Let dry. Repeat process with branches, adhering around sides of vase. Let dry.
- 7. Insert small candle or flameless votive inside vase.
- 1. Use a cylindrical vase by securing it to baking sheet with small juice glasses to prevent rolling when baking.