paper trimmer, craft knife, ruler, pencil, paintbrush, oven and baking sheet, toothpick
1. Preheat oven to 230°F.
2. Knead two portions of brown clay together to soften. Roll clay to 1/8" thickness. Using a craft knife, cut a 1-1/4"-diameter circle from clay. Use fingers to gently mold clay into an egg-shaped owl body.
3. Roll and flatten two small balls of yellow clay for eyes and press to face. Using a toothpick, make lines around eyes as shown in Fig. 1. Roll two tiny balls of black clay and press to eyes for pupils.
4. Roll a small amount of orange clay to 1/16" thickness. Using a craft knife, cut feet, beak, and triangle for above eyes. Press pieces into place.
5. Roll a small amount of black clay to 1/8" thickness. Using a craft knife, cut a 7/8"-wide diamond shape for top of graduation cap; cut a 1/8"x5/8" rectangle for base. Press pieces together; press cap to head.
6. Use toothpick to poke a hole in center of cap. Roll a thin strand of black clay for tassel; make "fringe" in one end using toothpick. Press thin end of tassel into hole in cap. See Fig. 2.
7. Cut two small black triangles for wings; press to sides of body. Place owl on note card, then place onto baking sheet.
8. Roll a small amount of white clay to 1/16" thickness. Using a craft knife, cut a 3/4" square from clay. Gently roll square into a scroll and pinch together at center. Roll a tiny red clay rope and wrap around center of scroll. See Fig. 3. Tuck scroll under owl's wing.
9. Roll small amounts of green, red, and blue clay to 1/8" thickness. Cut "books" from clay. Add details with a toothpick. Roll smaller amounts of contrasting clay to 1/16" thickness; cut spine labels from clay. Press to books. Press books together and to bottom of owl.
10. Bake clay in oven for 30 minutes. Remove clay and let cool completely.
11. Make light blue side-fold card. Cut smaller tan and blue cardstock panels. Adhere panels together as shown. Glue owl to card. Paint white "feathers" on owl's breast.