Wise Owl Grad Card
Wise Owl Grad Card
- Cardstock: tan, blue, light blue
- STAEDTLER FIMO Soft Oven Bake Clay, one block each: Caramel, Sunflower, Black, Tangerine, White, Cherry Red, Apple Green, Brilliant Blue
- Plain note card, 3”x5”
- STAEDTLER FIMO Acrylic Roller (or household drinking glass)
- White acrylic paint
- Adhesives: paper adhesive, liquid glue
- paper trimmer, craft knife, ruler, pencil, paintbrush, oven and baking sheet, toothpick
- 1. Preheat oven to 230°F.
- 2. Knead two portions of brown clay together to soften. Roll clay to 1/8" thickness. Using a craft knife, cut a 1-1/4"-diameter circle from clay. Use fingers to gently mold clay into an egg-shaped owl body.
- 3. Roll and flatten two small balls of yellow clay for eyes and press to face. Using a toothpick, make lines around eyes as shown in Fig. 1. Roll two tiny balls of black clay and press to eyes for pupils.
- 4. Roll a small amount of orange clay to 1/16" thickness. Using a craft knife, cut feet, beak, and triangle for above eyes. Press pieces into place.
- 5. Roll a small amount of black clay to 1/8" thickness. Using a craft knife, cut a 7/8"-wide diamond shape for top of graduation cap; cut a 1/8"x5/8" rectangle for base. Press pieces together; press cap to head.
- 6. Use toothpick to poke a hole in center of cap. Roll a thin strand of black clay for tassel; make "fringe" in one end using toothpick. Press thin end of tassel into hole in cap. See Fig. 2.
- 7. Cut two small black triangles for wings; press to sides of body. Place owl on note card, then place onto baking sheet.
- 8. Roll a small amount of white clay to 1/16" thickness. Using a craft knife, cut a 3/4" square from clay. Gently roll square into a scroll and pinch together at center. Roll a tiny red clay rope and wrap around center of scroll. See Fig. 3. Tuck scroll under owl's wing.
- 9. Roll small amounts of green, red, and blue clay to 1/8" thickness. Cut "books" from clay. Add details with a toothpick. Roll smaller amounts of contrasting clay to 1/16" thickness; cut spine labels from clay. Press to books. Press books together and to bottom of owl.
- 10. Bake clay in oven for 30 minutes. Remove clay and let cool completely.
- 11. Make light blue side-fold card. Cut smaller tan and blue cardstock panels. Adhere panels together as shown. Glue owl to card. Paint white "feathers" on owl's breast.