Beading / Jewelry
Eggshell Mosaic Jewelry Set
sizes: jewelry box, 3"x2"x2-1/2"; pendant, 1"x2"
- Clean white eggshells
- Art Minds Trinket Box, 3”x2”x2-1/2”
- Lara’s Crafts Finial Dowel Caps, 3/4”, four
- Jewelry Shoppe: Antique Silver Ornate Rectangle Bezel; Silver Jump Ring, 6mm
- Bead Landing Black Necklace, 18” length
- Royal Soft Grip Series SG150 Shader #4, 12
- Needle-nose pliers, two pairs
- Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Acrylic Craft Paints: Beetle Black, Marmalade, Raspberry Ice, Wedding Cake; Satin Enamel Finish
- Jacquard Piñata Alcohol Inks: Chili Pepper, Senorita Magenta, Sunbright Yellow, Tangerine
- Delta All-Purpose Sealer
- Plaid Mod Podge Clear Dimensional Magic
- Wood filler
- Adhesives: Eclectic Products E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive, Plaid Sobo Premium Craft and Fabric Glue
- stylus, rubbing alcohol, sandpaper, soft cloth, small disposable container, wax paper, craft stick, small saw, painter’s tape, newspaper (to cover work surface), craft knife, antibacterial soap, water
- 1. Cover work surface with newspaper. Use saw to remove turned area of dowel cap. Sand rough edge of remaining ball (for handle on lid). Wipe inside bezel with rubbing alcohol. Remove hinge from front of box; recycle. Fill holes with wood filler. Sand wood filler when dry.
- 2. Use appropriate-size shader to seal and paint surfaces. Apply sealer to all wooden surfaces. When dry, sand lightly and remove dust with soft cloth. Basecoat outside of box Wedding Cake. Basecoat inside of box, inside recessed area of box top, dowel caps (feet), lid handle, and inside of bezel Beetle Black. Let dry.
- 3. Crack eggs in half carefully with edge of knife. Rinse and soak in warm water with antibacterial soap for several hours. Pull membranes off shells. Turn shells upside down on paper towel to dry.
- 4. Break eggshell half into 1/2" or smaller pieces. Position face up on work surface. (Note: Discard pieces that are overturned as they'll absorb too much ink.)
- 5. Use paintbrush to apply generous amount of craft glue to center of box top. Place shell face up on glued area. Use craft stick to push down gently and break shell into smaller pieces. Avoid using fingers to manipulate shells. Use stylus to position shell pieces so black background (grout) shows. Use brush to smooth excess glue. Repeat process until area is covered with shell pieces. Use small fragments of shell to fill in small spaces as needed. Use corner of brush with glue to pick up and place small fragments. When finished, apply thin coat of craft glue over top of mosaic to seal. Let dry.
- 6. Pour small amount of rubbing alcohol into disposable container. Apply several drops of each color ink onto wax paper. When applying inks, work quickly as they set up quickly. Apply Sunbright Yellow to each end of mosaic box top using #4 shader; apply two layers. Pick up small amount Tangerine using dirty brush; lay brush at bottom of each yellow area and blend upward toward center of box, creating gradient of color. Rinse brush in rubbing alcohol; pat on paper towel. Pick up Senorita Magenta and apply to bottom of next layer, blending upward from Tangerine area. (Note: It is important to not over blend as you'll lose blended color between two inks.) Apply tiny amount Chili Pepper between Tangerine and Magenta layers using dirty brush; blend upward to Magenta layer. Set aside to dry for several hours. Clean brush thoroughly in rubbing alcohol.
- 7. Basecoat outside of box top Marmalade and outside bottom of box Raspberry. Let dry. Apply painter's tape to bottom of box for 1/4" border. Burnish top edge of tape with finger to prevent paint from seeping underneath. Basecoat border Wedding Cake until opaque; let dry. Paint wide stripes Beetle Black using #4 shader; carefully remove tape. Use chisel edge of shader to remove any paint that seeped underneath tape.
- 8. Dot pattern on top of box Beetle Black using stylus. Dot handle and feet Wedding Cake using stylus. Let dry. Adhere handle and feet on box using heavy-duty adhesive. Let dry.
- 9. Apply satin enamel to box. Let dry. Apply découpage medium onto mosaic. Let dry.
- 10. Follow Steps 3-6 to create mosaic inside bezel pendant, working from Sunbright Yellow to Chili Pepper as shown. When dry, apply découpage medium onto top of bezel. Use brush to gently coax medium into corners on pendant to seal. Let dry. Attach jump ring onto bail on pendant and necklace cord using needle-nose pliers.