Beading / Jewelry
Winter Wonders Necklace
- Beads: blue pearlized shell rounds, 6mm, 13; white freshwater pearls, 9mmx7mm, 13; clear AB faceted rounds, 5mm, 13; sapphire wire-wrapped glass hearts and rondelles, 10mm, seven; clear AB faceted top-drilled stars, 14mm, two; silver star, two 10mm, two 5mm;
- Silver snowflake charm, 17mm
- Silver rolo chain: 5mm, 18” length; 6mm, 19½” length
- Silver findings: headpins, 13; ball headpins, four; jump rings, 4mm, three; hitch and ball clasp
- Non-tarnish silver wire, 20-gauge
- Pliers: chain-nose, flat-nose, round-nose
- Flush cutters
- 1. String 6mm blue shell bead on headpin; insert headpin into center link of 5mm chain. See Photo 1.
- 2. String white pearl on headpin; insert headpin into center link of 6mm chain. See Photo 2.
- 3. String 5mm clear faceted round bead on headpin. See Photo 3. Slide beads and chains along headpin. Hold headpin approximately 1/16" from last bead using flat-nose pliers and turn simple loop. See Photos 4-5.
- 4. On second headpin, string blue shell bead. Insert headpin into fourth link on left side of center bead component in 5mm chain. String freshwater pearl, then insert headpin into fourth link on left side of center bead component in 6mm chain. String clear faceted round bead and turn simple loop. See Photo 6.
- 5. Repeat Step 4 five more times on left side of necklace. Complete right side of necklace to match.
- 6. Open eye loop of central bead component; attach wire-wrapped sapphire heart. See Photo 7.
- 7. Attach wire-wrapped heart to third bead component on each side of center component. Attach wire-wrapped sapphire rondelle to each eye loop between hearts.
- 8. Attach snowflake charm to center heart with jump ring.
- 9. Create two triangle jump rings for star crystals. Using flat-nose pliers, position end of wire (while still on spool) half way across jaws of pliers; bend at 45° angle. Reposition pliers on other side of bend; bend wire at 90° angle. See Photos 8-9. Reposition pliers on other side of 90° angle; bend wire at 45° angle. Place pliers on other side of bend and adjust arm so it sits evenly. See Photo 10. Trim wire so two prongs of jump ring are same length. See Photo 11. Repeat for second jump ring.
- 10. Insert one triangle jump ring prong through front of clear faceted star. Hook onto bottom loop of sapphire rondelle to left of center component. Insert remaining prong into back of star, gently squeezing both prongs together with pliers. See Photo 12.
- 11. String 10mm silver star bead on ball headpin. Turn simple loop; attach to remaining sapphire rondelle on left side of necklace.
- 12. String 6mm silver star bead on ball headpin. Turn simple loop; attach to left sapphire heart.
- 13. Repeat Steps 10-12 to complete right side of necklace to match.
- 14. On left side of necklace, open end link of 5mm chain; attach to end link of 6mm chain, making sure there are no twists in either chain. Open jump ring and hook on last link of 6mm chain and half of clasp. Repeat on other side of necklace to attach other half of clasp.