Beading / Jewelry
Knotted Crystal & Pearl Necklace
Swarovski North America Limited
- Crystal beads (Swarovski): 3mm Bicones (5301): Black Diamond, two; Indian Sapphire, two; Jet Hematite, three; 4mm Bicones (5301): Indian Sapphire, five; Jet Hematite, two; 6mm Bicones (5301): Black Diamond, five; Jet Hematite; Powder Green Pearls (5810): 4mm, eight; 6mm, five; 10mm, three; 11x8mm (5821), three; Black Diamond Cubist Pendant (6650), 22mm
- Bali or Thai Bead Cones, two (Rio Grande)
- Hook and Eye Clasp (Rio Grande)
- Black 2-ply Irish Waxed Linen, one spool (Royalwood Ltd.)
- Silver eye pins, two
- Silver soldered jump rings, 5mm, two
- E6000 Industrial-Strength Adhesive (Eclectic Products)
- Diagonal cutters or sharp scissors
- Pliers: round-nose; flat-nose
- 1. Cut eight 50" lengths from Irish waxed linen. Place all lengths evenly together; knot center.
- 2. Create center of necklace by stringing the following crystals on each of the eight strands: Black Diamond Cubist Pendant; 11x8mm Pearl; 6mm Pearl; 10mm Pearl; 6mm Black Diamond Bicone; 6mm Jet Hematite Bicone; 4mm Indian Sapphire Bicone; 3mm Jet Hematite Bicone. After stringing each bead, bring all strands together and tie another knot 2" from original knot to create center focal section of necklace.
- 3. In each of the following sections of beads listed, they will be repeated on both sides of center focal section of necklace. After stringing beads in each section, bring all strands together, and tie knot 2" from last knot tied, securing beads in between knots.
- For first section
- 1. String the following (leaving three strands empty): 10mm Pearl; 6mm Pearl; 4mm Pearl; 6mm Black Diamond Bicone; 4mm Indian Sapphire Bicone.
- For second section
- 1. String the following (leaving three strands empty): 11x8mm Pearl; 6mm Pearl; 4mm Pearl; 4mm Jet Hematite Bicone; 3mm Indian Sapphire Bicone.
- For third section
- 1. String the following (leaving five strands empty): 4mm Pearl; 6mm Black Diamond Bicone; 4mm Indian Sapphire Bicone.
- For fourth section
- 1. String the following (leaving five strands empty): 4mm Pearl; 3mm Black Diamond Bicone; 3mm Jet Hematite Bicone.
- 1. To finish off, tie one more knot on either side of strands in same way as before, bringing all strands together, and knotting 2" from last knot. Tie an additional knot on top of knot just tied on each side of piece. Taking one side, string jump ring through all strands, and tie another knot, adjusting jump ring to center of knot, and bringing new knot as close to last double knot as possible. Tie one more knot in strands, and clip all strands, leaving 1/4" tails. Attach eye pin to jump ring. Lightly tip ends of linen strands with glue to secure. Thread eye pin through bead cap, bringing all knots through bead cap, leaving doubled knot at mouth of bead cap. Wire wrap toggle to exposed wire of eye pin. Repeat on remaining side.
- Designer Tips for Success
- 1. You do not need a needle for this project, although it may be necessary to slightly trim your linen strands occasionally.
- 2. Reaming the pearls before stringing with a headpin, might help ease the strands through.
- 3. Twisting the pearl and strand as you are stringing helps ease the strand through the hole.