Pattern - Beaded Bell Ornament
- 1. Print and cut out pattern. Cut a 6"x6" piece each of white felt and stabilizer; set aside. Using the pencil or pen trace the outside shape of the bell pattern on a piece of tissue paper. Use another small piece of felt and cut out a bell shape for the back of ornament. Set aside.
- 2. Center and trace pattern onto 6"x6" stabilizer. Quick Tip: Use a ruler to help keep the diagonal lines straight.
- 3. Use white seeing thread to baste the felt and stabilizer 6"x6" pieces together. Using red sewing thread, working from backside going through both fabrics, baste pattern onto front side of felt. Do not baste dot.
- 4. Secure the joined fabrics in the embroidery hool, felt side up. (Note: Use hoot to ensure beads are as straight as possible.)
- 5. Thread a 2-hard length of Silamide in the beading needle join the two ends together and knot the end. (Note: two strands for all beading.) To bead the diagonal lines secure the end of the thread on the backside about 1" from outer edge. Slide thread between the two pieces of fabric pulling the needle to secure the knot next to the stabilizer. Take the thread up to the front side on a diagonal line, one bead's distance from the outer edge. Work the bead row (Fig. 1) across the diagonal lines using 11/0 red seed beads. Be sure to pull the thread taut after each stitch and keep beads snug. Work the lines going in one direction. Fill in small area between the long beaded lines being sure not to crowd beads already in place. All rows should lay flat. To end the thread, tie off on backside after each row. Attach the three rows in the small area on top of the ornament in the same manner as the bead rows.
- 6. Using dots on backside as a guide sew on the sequins (Fig. 2) where indicated using the Very Fine #4 Braid.
- 7. Remove the hoop and carefully cut out around the traced line of the bell shape being careful not to cut any beading threads.
- 8. Add a red bead to a diagonal row so the bead row comes to the edge of the ornament, refer to photo.
- 9. Attach the clapper at the center bottom of the ornament using a stop bead (Fig. 3).
- 10. Fold an 8" piece of Medium #16 Braid in half, knot ends together to form the hanger. Thread the looped end in the #22 Chenille needle, secure in the stabilizer, in the center top, on the backside.
- 11. Place back and front bell shapes with wrong sides together, start on right side of bottom edge of bell and whipstitch around the ornament using white sewing thread. Place a small amount of fiberfill stuffing inside to give the ornament for a slightly puffy look before sewing opening closed.