Beading / Jewelry
Spaghetti Scarf with Matching Pin
sizes: scarf, 24" long; pin, 4"
- Red cotton/polyester t-shirt
- Ultra-suede fabric: red, green
- Metal pin back
- Sewing needle and red thread
- OLFA: Quick-Change Rotary Cutter, Self-Healing Cutting Mat, Quilt Ruler
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- scissors, iron and pressing surface, pen
- Spaghetti Scarf
- 1. Iron shirt to remove wrinkles. Lay t-shirt flat on top of cutting mat, making sure hem is aligned.
- 2. Using rotary cutter and quilting ruler as guide, cut hem from shirt.
- 3. Starting from bottom where hem has been removed, lay ruler down 3/4" from bottom. Cut strip using rotary cutter, stopping at least 3/4" to 1" from end. (Note: Do not cut strip completely off.)
- 4. Continue to cut strips 3/4-wide until just below armhole area. Cut last strip across, cutting entire armhole portion off. (Note: You now have several strips/loops that are all attached at one end.)
- 5. To make the strips longer, grab loop at one end and hold uncut edge at other end; gently stretch.
- 6. With cut underarm portion that was removed, measure and cut 3/4"-wide strip; stretch strip to roll. Wrap cut strip around uncut area on scarf; use needle and thread to tack ends to secure.
- 7. To wear scarf, twist or braid loops and wear long like necklace, or double-loop lengths to wear like scarf.
- Flower Pin
- 1. Using top cut portion of t-shirt, cut off crew neck 1/2" below ribbing. Cut off seams. (Note: You should now have a long strip with ribbing.)
- 2. Measure and cut 5-1/4"-diameter circle from top cut portion. Turn edges under 1/2". Baste stitch edges using needle and red thread. Pull thread to gather edges of circle, creating a yo-yo. Set aside.
- 3. Begin tightly rolling one end of ribbing strip, while turning ribbing to outside, to create jelly roll. Use needle and thread to sew jelly roll into strip. Sew basting stitches; pull to gather strip and continue sewing to secure. Continue process until almost at end of strip. Turn end of strip to 45º angle. Sew end to secure to flower. Sew gathered circle under flower.
- 4. Cut oval leaf shape from green suede fabric. Fold leaf down center and gently press creating vein line. Adhere leaf on bottom of flower using fabric glue.
- 5. Measure and cut red suede circle 1/4" smaller than bottom of flower. Position pin back on circle; use pen to mark top and bottom of pin. Cut slits on markings using scissors. Insert head of pin in one slit and end of pin in other slit. Fasten pin. Apply fabric glue on wrong side of circle and adhere on bottom of flower. Let dry.