Beading / Jewelry
Vintage Button Ring
Vintage Button Ring
- Beadalon Gold Non-Tarnish Artistic Wire, 20-gauge
- Connie Crystal AB Round Crystal Bead, 8mm
- Antique button or Buttons Galore & More Gold & Pearl Vintage Button
- Beadalon: Wire Snips, Chain-Nose Pliers
- Ring mandrel
- Nylon-headed hammer
- 1. Cut 18" length of wire. Use fingers to pull along length of wire to straighten and heat. Place focal bead in center of wire and bend at each end to hold in place. Thread button onto wire behind bead.
- 2. Place back of button on ring mandrel one full size larger than needed for finished ring size.
- 3. Wrap wire around mandrel three to four times depending on thickness of band preferred. (Note: Four wraps are shown.) Bring ends of wire straight up away from mandrel.
- 4. Holding mandrel perpendicular to body, wrap bottom wire up around focal button and bead and top wire down around focal button and bead so that wires run parallel to mandrel. Pull taut and hold in place. Continue to wrap wires in same direction two more times around so there are three wire wraps on each side of focal. Pull taut.
- 5. Remove ring from mandrel and trim ends of wire to 2-1/2" long. Wrap ends down and around ring bands. Bring wire up and wrap around bands three times. Use wire snips to trim ends on top of ring bands. Use chain-nose pliers to gently pinch down end of wrapped wire. Repeat process on other side of ring.
- 6. Place ring back onto mandrel. Use hammer to tap ring lightly down mandrel to reshape ring band. Remove ring from mandrel, flip ring and place back onto mandrel facing opposite way on mandrel. Repeat process to shape ring from other side of band.
- 7. Use hammer to gently tap around band to shape and harden to finish.
- 1. To determine your ring size, cut a strip of paper 1/2"x5". Wrap the paper around your finger and use a pen to mark where long end overlaps. Measure the marked length with a ruler and then use this size as shown on your ring mandrel.