Beading / Jewelry
Vintage Modern - Ribbon Belts
Pink Paisley Ribbon Belt
- Vintage belt buckles, brooches and earrings (such as mother of pearl)
- Brocade ribbons (Dove of the East)
- Silver findings (Jewelry Essentials): toggle clasps; jump rings, 7mm; ribbon clamps
- Heat Set Crystal Stones (Crystal Elegance)
- Liquid Fusion Adhesive (Duncan Enterprises)
- Creative Jewel Tool (Walnut Hollow)
- FrayBlock (June Tailor)
- Button thread
- Embroidery needle
- Decorative-edge scissors
- Pin backs
- large paper clip or small clamp
- Ribbon Belts
- 1. Cut one length of ribbon to fit around waist, adding 8". If needed, machine or hand stitch two ribbon lengths together to form one longer length.
- 2. Apply fray block to ribbon ends; let dry.
- 3. Use decorative-edge scissors to trim one end of ribbon.
- 4. Place straight ribbon end through belt buckle, loop around to wrong side, and secure with Liquid Fusion. Hold ribbon together with paper clip or small clamp until dry.
- 5. Adhere stones to buckle. Follow manufacturer's instructions to heat set stones, if desired.
- Pin Variation
- 1. Cut 12" length from ribbon. Apply Fray Block to ribbon ends.
- 2. Gather one long side of ribbon edges with button thread. Pull gathers tight and knot. Trim thread.
- 3. Pin or adhere jewelry onto gathered ribbon with Liquid Fusion.
- 4. Adhere or hand sew pin closure to back of ribbon.
- Ribbon Bracelets
- 1. Cut ribbon to fit comfortably around wrist.
- 2. Gather short end of each ribbon 1/8" from edge with button thread. Gently pull gathers tight; knot.
- 3. Place gathered end of ribbon into ribbon clamp. Use pliers to secure ribbon inside clamp. Repeat with remaining ribbon end.
- 4. Open jump rings and attach to toggle clasps at each end of ribbon clamp. (Note: Add more jump rings for length and ease of fastening clasp, if needed.)
- 5. Use pliers to remove back from vintage earrings or pin clasp from brooch. Center and adhere jewelry to ribbon bracelet with Liquid Fusion. Clamp earring in place until dry.
- Jewelry Tips
- 1. Don't pass up vintage pieces that are missing stones. Start a stash of stones from other sets and use them to replace the missing or "dead" stones.
- 2. Soak pieces in jewelry cleaner and gently brush away any dirt or grime.
- 3. Orphaned earrings make great embellishments. Clip them onto a ribbon for a simple headband.