Beading / Jewelry
Maori Fishhook & Mask Charms
iLoveToCreate, a Duncan Enterprises Co.
size: fishhook, 2"; mask charms, 1" squares
- Jute twine, 2 yds.
- Metal jump rings
- Aleene's Original Tacky Glue
- Tulip Soft Fabric Paint: Golden Tan, Chocolate
- iLoveToCreate Liquid Fusion Clear Urethane Glue
- plastic zip-lock bag, plastic bowl, measuring cup, craft stick, toothpick, plastic knife, foil, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. On covered work surface, mix 1 cup cornstarch and 3/4 cup glue in plastic bowl. Use craft stick to stir mixture; add more cornstarch to create dough consistency. Put mixture in plastic zip-lock bag; knead dough until workable. If dough is too sticky, add small amount cornstarch.
- 2. For fishhook, roll 2" dough ball. Form ball into hook shape. Use toothpick to poke hole through top of fishhook. Let fishhook dry completely.
- 3. For mask charms, roll 1" dough balls. Use pencil end to make small indentation on ball. Squeeze small drop of Golden Tan paint into indentation. Knead dough, mixing paint. Use pencil to make another indentation in ball. Squeeze Chocolate paint into indentation. Knead dough, mixing paint.
- 4. Flatten painted dough balls. Use plastic knife to cut 1" squares. Use toothpick to poke hole on top of each mask charm and make eyes, mouth, and facial lines on masks. See photo. Let mask charms dry completely.
- 5. Use paper towel dabbed in Chocolate paint to rub mask charms, creating distressed look. Fill in eyes and mouth with Chocolate paint. Let dry.
- 6. Attach jump rings on fishhook and mask charms.
- 7. Measure and cut one 30" length (necklace) and three 12" lengths (bracelet) from jute twine. Align ends of 12" lengths; tape ends on work surface. Braid lengths together.
- 8. Attach jump rings through holes on mask charms and fishhook. Attach charms on braided jute length. Attach fishhook on 30" jute twine length. Adjust lengths as needed.